Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Gouramis keep dying on me (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/gouramis-keep-dying-me-42385/)

pillar 05-04-2010 10:49 PM

Gouramis keep dying on me

I have a 20 gallon tank that has had very few deaths (just two neons) since I started it up a year ago. Something I can't figure out is why the gouramis I have added die. I added two soon after I got the aquarium and they only lasted a month or so. I added two more about a month ago and they didn't even last two weeks.

I tested the water regular each time, and there was no sign of any toxins. One thing I did notice was a slight change in pH, but I could barely tell; at most it was a .2 change over two days and I think it was less than that. Is that enough to kill a gourami? I understood that neons were a lot more fragile, but they are fine.

I also have a lot of plants in the aquarium, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

aunt kymmie 05-05-2010 12:10 AM

What species of gourami? What are you actual water parameters (ph, amm, trIte, trAte)
I wouldn't think a .2 shift would be that drastic...

pillar 05-05-2010 07:05 AM

pH went between 6.9-7.1, ammonia was 0. I am not sure what those other two abbreviations are though, could you please explain?

Angel079 05-05-2010 07:49 AM

The other parameters Kymmie asked are Nitrate and Nitrite (NO2, NO3).

Apart from the question already asked: What all is stocked in the 20g with what type of Gourami?

pillar 05-05-2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 377546)
The other parameters Kymmie asked are Nitrate and Nitrite (NO2, NO3).

Apart from the question already asked: What all is stocked in the 20g with what type of Gourami?

Gotcha. Nitrate was at about 10-20 and there was no nitrite.

The other fish:
-5 neons
-3 tetra (not sure the actual name they are about an inch long each)
-4 corys

aunt kymmie 05-05-2010 10:36 AM

And the type of gourami??

pillar 05-05-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 377638)
And the type of gourami??

Dwarf flame Gourami, sorry!

iamntbatman 05-06-2010 04:52 AM

I'm not sure the exact name of the virus, but there is rumor of a particular virus that infects dwarf gouramis coming in from Asian breeders specifically. I had a dwarf gourami die myself mysteriously one day; he was perfectly fine and healthy and was belly-up a few hours later. No change in water parameters and this was an established tank. None of the other fish seemed sick at all and none died. Very strange stuff, but apparently not all that uncommon, which is apparently fuel for this virus rumor.

1077 05-06-2010 06:40 AM

If interested ,one can google... "Studies on Iridovirus and Mycobacteria among Colisa Lalia" dwarf gourami.
Were it me, I might consider the Pearl Gourami. Is said to be much hardier and can live up to ten years with proper care.