Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Introducing plants into my tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/introducing-plants-into-my-tank-42376/)

Zooty 05-04-2010 08:57 PM

Introducing plants into my tank

I have recently restocked my aquarium and from what my research says I should have plants for my clown loaches. I'm doing regular water changes for my aquarium to clean things up and get lower my nitrate and nitrite levels. Is it a logical choice to just bury acouple plants in the tank and hope for the best or is there another way to get things started? Do I need to introduce the plants any special way?

redchigh 05-04-2010 10:15 PM

I think as long as you have proper lighting (6500k "daylight" or "cool white" Flourescent, at least 1 watt per gallon) then they'll do okay, if for a little while.

If you're asking whether they need time to adjust, no they don't. Just buy them and put them in the tank.
Might eventually need some kind of fertiliser, but I had my tank running for about 6 months, and it's only now needing a fertiliser. Some crypts will experience "crypt rot" where the leaves fall off, but if you leave the root in place they come back eventually.

Just noticed something- you said you were doing WC's to control nitrates and nitrites- if you have nitrites at ALL (any amount above 0) then your tank isn't properly cycled. Plants will help though i suppose.

Byron 05-05-2010 11:59 AM

Plants will speed up the cycling because they assimilate ammonia/ammonium directly; in fact, with enough plants (well-planted) there will not usually even be a "cycle" that's noticeable. Great idea if you have fish in the tank.

What sort of plants are you contemplating? They have slightly different requirements (how their planted, perhaps light).

aunt kymmie 05-05-2010 12:18 PM

Do you have any driftwood in the tank? In addition to plants loaches LOVE driftwood.

Zooty 05-05-2010 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 377709)
Do you have any driftwood in the tank? In addition to plants loaches LOVE driftwood.

I have 2 nicely sized pieces of driftwood that my loaches and royal pleco love to hang out inside of. Somehow all 6 of my clown loaches can disappear inside a peice of it which might as well be a clown car.

JohnnyD44 05-06-2010 07:05 AM

+1 on all posts so far,

like Byron said, have you thought about a plant list??? I recommend www.sweetaquatics.com their customer service and pricing/selection has won over this forum for sure!

Zooty 05-07-2010 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 (Post 378377)
+1 on all posts so far,

like Byron said, have you thought about a plant list??? I recommend www.sweetaquatics.com their customer service and pricing/selection has won over this forum for sure!

They only ship to the states. Canadian here. :-?