Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Anacharis keeps dying? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/anacharis-keeps-dying-423650/)

PunkinOfSteel 07-09-2014 04:27 AM

Anacharis keeps dying?

Thankfully Anacharis is cheap, but I've probably spent a good $20 on that plant alone and unfortunately it keeps dying, slowly.

I've heard both that it's super easy to care for and that you can just throw it in a bowl of water with nothing else in it and it just thrives. Also heard that it's fine in any temperature of water, it's good with goldfish and good with tropical fish. And according to this it should be Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Anacharis

During my QT process it always seems to start getting goopy, really soft like and not as green and at the base a little brown. I've tried even skipping the QT process just to try and save the plant and deal with any snail issue later on. This didn't work either.

Floating it, planting it, tying it to a sunken piece of driftwood so that it doesn't possibly get too close to the light but also so that none of it is covered by sand or gravel.

I had one do really well for a week and then i switched my plant food to Seachem (originally using API) and it almost immediately started falling apart, and I didn't even use that much because at the time it was only a 10 gallon aquarium.

How does one properly care for Anacharis? Before I was using two Zoomed UltraSun fluorescent bulbs and now i'm using a fluorescent tube by Aqueon for plants.

It makes me sad because I really love this plant but I have no clue why it keeps gooping up on me and dying.

tankman12 07-09-2014 07:28 AM

When you dose the excel does it go one the anachris, or in the water column right onto the plant?
Posted via Mobile Device

lilnaugrim 07-09-2014 11:04 AM

tankman12, Excel always goes into the water column to be soaked in by the plants.

Anacharis is a coldwater plant and it really does hate being in warmer temperatures which is why it does fine in goldfish tanks (until they eat it) or in ponds. Anacharis will also immediately melt if you use Excel but shouldn't if you use regular liquid ferts like SeaChem's Flourish Comprehensive.

The only time I had it grow was when I had a colder water tank, it wasn't goldfish cold but it was colder than tropical and it did fine but all my hotter tanks, it's always hated.

tankman12 07-09-2014 11:25 AM

Well i know that. But when you put it in and the current blows it all to the plant before it can dilute in the water completely. It can do more damage.
Posted via Mobile Device

PunkinOfSteel 07-09-2014 05:21 PM

Okay, so I guess it really is just not for tropical tanks, I can pull it out and put it in a not heated tank to see if I can keep it alive. I love that plant but it's clearly not meant for me.

Would it be better if i put the food in a cup or bowl of water before adding it to the tank so it can dilute some first?

tankman12 07-09-2014 05:32 PM

What food? Excel, api thing, or fish food?
Posted via Mobile Device

lilnaugrim 07-09-2014 06:11 PM

Nah, you can add it straight to the tank, just put it in the filter flow if you're worried. I just throw mine in though, never had any harm but I also have plants that love co2 rather than the ones that don't is all.

PunkinOfSteel 07-09-2014 06:13 PM

The Seachem Flourish. I've never had issues with just dumping a cap of API Leaf Zone into the tank, should I dilute the Seachem first?

lilnaugrim 07-09-2014 06:14 PM

Wait, are you using both Flourish and API Leaf Zone?

tankman12 07-09-2014 06:48 PM

Ya try to dilute it like that for a week and that should work. Are you using both? I dont think it would be a big deal, isnt leaf zone iron, potassium, and all that jazz? Or is it a co2 supplement as well?
Posted via Mobile Device