Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Interview Update (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/interview-update-42362/)

kuklachica 05-04-2010 07:26 PM

Interview Update

I went for my interview at Petco last Tuesday. It went very well (it lasted 1 hr and 15 mins, mostly us just chatting and hitting it off). I interviewed with the store manager. She told me at the beginning that since we had talked numerous times about bettas (starting with my complaining about their conditions one time I went!) that we could just do a more informal interview.

The most "interesting" thing she asked was about how I would deal with company pet care recommendations if I didn't agree with them. She gave an example that she has an employee that argues with her constantly because this employee believes that birds should ONLY be fed pellets, while petco's official recommendation is 70% pellets, 30% fresh foods/seeds/treats. I personally agree with the employee (this is what I fed my parrots when I had some) but Petco's recommendation is far from bad, in fact better than most pet stores.

So I gave her an example of what I would do regarding bettas. I personally would never house my bettas in anything less than 2.5 (because I don't want to do full WCs, and want to cycle it, as well as more space). But, if Petco's rec. was that bettas be housed in at least 1/2 gallons, for example, I would tell the customer this. However, I would THEN explain to the customer the upkeep that comes with .5 gallons, the WCs, the possible ammonia burns/poisoning if they don't change it every other day, etc. Of course I wouldn't be preachy about it, but matter of fact. If this then lead the customer to spend more money on the lower maintenance 2.5 +, the so be it. I wouldn't go against company policy, but I would also be responsible to educate the customer on the needs that come with such a small container, and in the process steer them towards the larger tank. She was happy with the response.

So it looks like there's a good chance I'll get the job, but it may only be 4 hours a week, maybe a little more. She seems to want me only in aquatics so I can help out with busy weekends. I don't NEED the job, but it would be nice extra money, so any hours would be good. And since I couldn't work many hours during the school year, she couldn't just hire me "seasonally". But, if I lose my teaching job I can fall back on this and hopefully move to full time. She also liked the idea of me being an "adoptions ambassador" with the local animal shelter. I used to work there for 7 years and be in charge of the volunteers so this would be right up my ally :)

I also found out that the manager of the aquatics used to own her own pet store and breed bettas!! We talked about dragons today, and the new line that is coming in. I also found out that I used to teach her son when I taught elementary school, and I'll have him again in two years... thankfully her son liked me :roll:

So I should hear back soon! Sorry for the long post :shock: - thought it might help anyone looking to apply at Petco!

BettaxFishxCrazy 05-04-2010 07:30 PM

That's so exciting!! I hope you get the job. :)

aunt kymmie 05-04-2010 07:44 PM

It sounds like you got the job! Good for you. :-D
(As a parrot owner I'm not even going to comment on the bird feeding debate, lol)

Jupiter 05-04-2010 08:42 PM

That sounds promising! Good luck, keeping my fingers crossed for you! ;-)

xrayjeeper83 05-04-2010 09:29 PM

sounds good, ive been looking for some part time work and may just go apply at petsmart(mine is fairly clean with knowledgeable people)

Sella 05-06-2010 11:05 PM

an HOUR AND 15 MINUTES! What an interview!!!!
The most I've ever been in an interview for was 20 minutes!
My friend had an interview from hell when she was applying at a vet clinic for the AHT position. They asked her right off the bat "What is your personal mission statement" WTH kind of question is that and how do you answer it?

"Um.. I try to keep up with my hygiene, and ensure I'm properly fed, I also would like to have peace on earth and shut down all puppy mills. I'm also working working on a rocket to the moon, I understand NASA has made major developments in this area, but I really think I can make a difference from my garage"

Hope you get the job!

willow 05-09-2010 04:12 AM

sounds like it went really well :-D
the store is going to sell bearded dragons soon ?
i hope they look into the correct set up for them then,we seem to have
problems over here with the large chain stores no getting it right.

Romad 05-09-2010 07:05 AM

Sounds like my last interview. Me and my boss talked about cats for a good 45 minutes.

I had just taken on an 18 lb. cat that no-one wanted. I agreed to keep the cat for the weekend until someone could find it a home. I had the cat for 7 years and i've had my job for 11 :)

willow 05-09-2010 07:53 AM

wow ! how wonderful of you to have kept the cat :-D

bloo97 05-09-2010 09:46 AM

I hope you get the job! You'll do great!