Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Fiddler crabs

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  iamntbatman 
#1 ·
Got some fiddler crabs not even knowing I was going to get them and found out when i took them home that they need to be able to go to the surface for air. I don't really want to drop my water level in my tank so I was wondering if I could pull them out every so often for a while but am not sure how often I should do this or how long they should stay out for. Got a 135 gallon tank with a rena xp canister filter, temp is 80. Thanx in advance. :shock:

#2 ·
They really need to be able to climb out on their own; there's no way for you, as their owner, to tell when they want to be in the water vs. when they want to be out of it and for how long. Fiddlers also should be kept in brackish water. They're also expert escape artists that will find a way out of your tank if they don't find things to their liking (or sometimes even if they do).

#4 ·
Fiddler crabs are brackish. They will die within months in a freshwater aquarium.

I have 4 thriving in my brackish...I have a turtle dock in there for them to get out of the water, and use a long fake bamboo plant cascading down it for them to climb up. I feed them both on the dock and in the water. They do very well in this setup.

As others said, they are extremely good escape artists unless you give them means to get out of the water and back in as they please.

#5 ·
I;m gonna set up a 5 gallon brackish tank for these fiddlers. I found some sea salt at my 99 cent store in town....question is will it work? Simply says sea salt on it with some pictures of the ocean, seems pretty generic. I read that it should be marine salt and not just aquarium salt is this true?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.