Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Came home with new fish and... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/came-home-new-fish-42214/)

Zooty 05-02-2010 06:11 PM

Came home with new fish and...

My parents got home from the cabin before I got home from fish shopping. My dad decided to catch about 100 minnows in the lake and infest my tank with them. Is this going to be harmful to my fish? I have 6 clown loaches and I don't want to see them get sick. I have a reedfish that is doing what he can to thin the population. Should I let nature take its coarse or are my tropicals in danger?

My 75g tanks populated with:
6 Clown Loaches (3 are 2.5" and 3 are about 4-5")
1 Royal Pleco 5"
1 Regular Pleco 8"
2 Giant danio 5"
1 AA Koi 5"
1 Reedfish 9"
100 Wild minnows

Austin 05-02-2010 06:48 PM

They could bring diseases or bacteria....

It's also going to put a huge stress on the beneficial bacteria to keep up - there won't be enough beneficial bacteria to keep up with the new fish and the ammonia may shoot up.

Zooty 05-02-2010 10:16 PM

What can I use to keep ammonia down? I'm assuming keeping up with water changes should keep everything down.

aunt kymmie 05-02-2010 10:24 PM

Yes, test your water and then do a w/c when you detect ammonia. Did you thump your dad on the head for this bonehead move?? J/K

Meenu 05-02-2010 11:01 PM

Yikes, this was not well-thought out by your father. :(
You can use Prime to condition the water when you do your water changes. I'd be really concerned about disease... and once they've been in your tank, you do not want to release them back into the lake or a stream or anything.

rsn48 05-02-2010 11:25 PM

Get rid of the minnows!

iamntbatman 05-03-2010 03:45 AM

Welcome to TFK!

You can't release them back into the wild, now. The minnows may now have contracted diseases that your aquarium fish had already built up resistances to; releasing these contaminated minnows into the wild could be disastrous to the environment. It's possible that the minnows have diseases your fish could pick up. If you have another tank you could move the minnows to, that would be one solution but other than that I can't really think of anything else you can do, really. Keep an eye on your water parameters and do water changes as needed, be ready to medicate should your fish get sick and hope the reedfish can eat them all before they really start causing problems in your tank.

Taz 05-03-2010 04:44 AM

Dad's minnows

Flush 'em & tell Dad what you're tank's investment is $wise. May be a good time to educate him on local ecology - too many people think it's ok to dump aquarium fish into lakes if they get bored with the fish or even if the fish are sick! The reverse is true as well; now you can't re-release the minnows because of possible contaminents in your tank to them. I would either set them up in another tank (great father's day gift!) or flush 'em.

Romad 05-03-2010 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz (Post 375632)
Flush 'em & tell Dad what you're tank's investment is $wise. May be a good time to educate him on local ecology - too many people think it's ok to dump aquarium fish into lakes if they get bored with the fish or even if the fish are sick! The reverse is true as well; now you can't re-release the minnows because of possible contaminents in your tank to them. I would either set them up in another tank (great father's day gift!) or flush 'em.

Love the "father's day gift" idea - LOL