Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   A Possibility (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/possibility-42202/)

Zeetrain 05-02-2010 05:50 PM

A Possibility

I have a 10 gallon that is freshwater right now. Im thinking of moving the fish out of that tank. Could I use the tank, filter, heater, and light? It's a normal ten gallon tank. The filter is an Aqueon Quietflow 10. The heater is a Tetra Submersible. The hood light has 2 Bright Effects 7-Watt Tubalar CFL 40-Watt Replacement bulbs. Im not sure if I would make a slat water aquarium out of this but i was just wondering what else I would need to make one.
Thanks for reading ;-)

teddyzaper 05-08-2010 01:32 AM

the light most likely wouldnt be sufficient for corals but you could do FOWLR (fish only with live rock). If you wanted to use the filter, you would just use it for water circulation, and have a bag of activated carbon inside of it. 10 gal tanks are not very good for biginers, but i shouldnt be talking because thats what im doing.... the heater would work.

not to scare you away, but you would have to buy, live rock, live sand, R/O water, salt mix, hydrometer, water tester, lighs, skimmer, and water test kits. this is a very big list for such a small tank and i think you would have more fun with a bigger tank, around 50gal or so. it may be more money, but if you average it out to dollars per gallon, the bigger tank would be WAY cheaper. mine came out to around $50 per gallon, which is $500 for my 10 gal tank, thats a big commitment, of course i bought lights to accomidate corals.

If i didnt scare you off then me and many others here could help you set up your tank correctly.

P.S. adorable gecko :P

Zeetrain 05-08-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teddyzaper (Post 379544)
the light most likely wouldnt be sufficient for corals but you could do FOWLR (fish only with live rock). If you wanted to use the filter, you would just use it for water circulation, and have a bag of activated carbon inside of it. 10 gal tanks are not very good for biginers, but i shouldnt be talking because thats what im doing.... the heater would work.

not to scare you away, but you would have to buy, live rock, live sand, R/O water, salt mix, hydrometer, water tester, lighs, skimmer, and water test kits. this is a very big list for such a small tank and i think you would have more fun with a bigger tank, around 50gal or so. it may be more money, but if you average it out to dollars per gallon, the bigger tank would be WAY cheaper. mine came out to around $50 per gallon, which is $500 for my 10 gal tank, thats a big commitment, of course i bought lights to accomidate corals.

If i didnt scare you off then me and many others here could help you set up your tank correctly.

Thanks for all the info. Im not too sure what im going to do right now but i do have an empty 30 gallon with a brand new 30 - 45 gallon filter i bought recently. If my dad lets me set it up i may decide to do saltwater and then i will definately be loking for more advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by teddyzaper (Post 379544)
P.S. adorable gecko :P

Thankyou :-)