Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Strange vocalization by my Pictus (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/strange-vocalization-my-pictus-42175/)

aunt kymmie 05-02-2010 12:36 AM

Strange vocalization by my Pictus

Just wanted to share this. My pictus, for whatever strange reason, swam up and over the overflow into the prefilter on my display tank. I got out a net in order to retrieve him. It was pretty simple as the area is small and he had nowhere to go but in the net. As I was pulling the net up against the side of the filter compartment he made the most bizarre sound. It sounded like a squeaking buzz. Anyone ever heard of such a thing??

willow 05-02-2010 05:04 AM

um,i seem to just remember somthing like that,in my very first tank.
i couldn't tell you if he continued to speak,as i sold the tank along with him,
i wonder if they are a little like clown loaches in theat way,mine
click to me in the morning when they want their pellets.

Fishin Pole 05-02-2010 08:45 AM

most of the larger catfish species have the ability to make some strange sounds............when my striped raphael catfish was smaller, he made some really strange croaking sounds that could be heard thru the water and glass.........took me awhile till i figured out where the noise was coming from......I know from fishing and catching catfish, channel cats make some really strange noises when they are out of water..from high pitched squeals to low bass like croaks...........

aunt kymmie 05-02-2010 12:24 PM

Thanks for the info. I thought I was imagining what I was hearing. Poor guy must have really been stressed to make such odd noises. In the meantime, he's my fifth fish to go up over through this overflow area. The opening for the overflow is such a small area, approx. 1" x 6". It's in the back, at the very top left of the tank. I have to figure out a way to keep this from happening. I think it stresses me out more than the fish when I see them in there. :shock:

PS. Lainey, my loaches also make this cute clicking sound. The noise from the pictus wasn't cute, it sounded like he was screaming!

willow 05-02-2010 02:23 PM

not a nice noise to here then,that would throw me into a real panic,
i can not cope with nises from animals in distress. it kills me inside.
hope the little guys ok.

aunt kymmie 05-02-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willow (Post 375221)
not a nice noise to here then,that would throw me into a real panic,
i can not cope with nises from animals in distress. it kills me inside.
hope the little guys ok.

I don't like it either, as it makes me feel terrible. My pictus is totally fine. Hopfully he learned from the experience and will stay away from the overflow!

willow 05-02-2010 02:32 PM

fingers crossed.:-D

Romad 05-02-2010 05:23 PM

that's crazy!! i think i'd fall on the floor if i ever heard a fish "scream"

i would love to get some "clicking" loaches tho. do either of you have any suggestions for a 75 gallon that i'll be setting up at the end of the month (moving time - groan.....)?

i have 5 cories that will be rehomed there but no other bottom dwellers. how many loaches and what kind should i get?

btw - the tank will be planted if that makes a difference.

aunt kymmie 05-02-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 375277)
that's crazy!! i think i'd fall on the floor if i ever heard a fish "scream"

i would love to get some "clicking" loaches tho. do either of you have any suggestions for a 75 gallon that i'll be setting up at the end of the month (moving time - groan.....)?

i have 5 cories that will be rehomed there but no other bottom dwellers. how many loaches and what kind should i get?

btw - the tank will be planted if that makes a difference.

I keep yoyo and clown loaches together and I'm pretty sure the clicking I hear comes from just the clowns. I have some dwarf chain loaches in another tank and have never heard them "click". So perhaps only clowns click? Clowns grow very large but based on my experience it seems like it takes them quite awhile before they become massive lunkers. I purchased mine as 2" juveniles back in August 2008. They are now 5" now so not a "radical" growth rate.

It's my opinion that most loaches be kept in numbers of no less of five members per species.
In a 75 gl you have room for a group of clowns. If you purchase juveniles it'll be a long time before they outgrow a 75. (by that time you're going to want a bigger tank anyway, right?? ;-))
What other fish do you plan/want to keep with loaches?

All my tanks are planted, with lots of driftwood. Driftwood is a must for most loaches, they love jamming themselves into nooks and crannies. My loaches love to play hide and seek in the plants, in and around the driftwood, they are some of the most entertaining fish I keep. They are total goof balls and so funny to watch.

I only have good things to say about yoyos, clowns and dwarf chain loaches.

Romad 05-02-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 375377)
I keep yoyo and clown loaches together and I'm pretty sure the clicking I hear comes from just the clowns. I have some dwarf chain loaches in another tank and have never heard them "click". So perhaps only clowns click? Clowns grow very large but based on my experience it seems like it takes them quite awhile before they become massive lunkers. I purchased mine as 2" juveniles back in August 2008. They are now 5" now so not a "radical" growth rate.

It's my opinion that most loaches be kept in numbers of no less of five members per species.
In a 75 gl you have room for a group of clowns. If you purchase juveniles it'll be a long time before they outgrow a 75. (by that time you're going to want a bigger tank anyway, right?? ;-))
What other fish do you plan/want to keep with loaches?

All my tanks are planted, with lots of driftwood. Driftwood is a must for most loaches, they love jamming themselves into nooks and crannies. My loaches love to play hide and seek in the plants, in and around the driftwood, they are some of the most entertaining fish I keep. They are total goof balls and so funny to watch.

I only have good things to say about yoyos, clowns and dwarf chain loaches.

Driftwood - check

plants - check

now for tankmates: there will be the cories as stated, 5 serpae tetra, 5 emperor tetra, 5 green tiger barbs, 5 pristella tetras, 5 boesmani rainbows (2 monsters, 3 littler guys). i'll have to see where i'm at after 5 or 6 clown loaches but i'm guessing that i'd be about 75% stocked at that point (minimally).

sound good??

as for tank size, i'm afraid 75 gallons is going to be it. the house we're building will have the 75 gallon in the living room, a 45 gallon in the family room, and 8 betta tanks scattered throughout so no more room for bigger or more (yeah right).