Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   What to do with a 1 Gallon tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/what-do-1-gallon-tank-42098/)

TorchwoodMindfreak 04-30-2010 06:16 PM

What to do with a 1 Gallon tank?

My first tank was a little one gallon bow mini, it has been sitting in the garage for years. I'm bored waiting for my 37gallon to cycle so would like to put this one to use. Can I put shrimps and snails in here and plant it? If so how many and what kind, and what kind of cycleing would it need? It currently has no heater and an undergravel filter. I'm deffinatly going to buy sand or something of the sort and will be willing to get a little filter, any ideas? And will it need a heater? The tank lid says this on top 1-120v7w60hz not sure if it pertains to the size and or light but thought I'd include it incase it could be relevant. Thanks for any info I have a 3-day weekend so I will have time to get stuff to get it started once I know what to get :)

scalar 04-30-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorchwoodMindfreak (Post 374298)
My first tank was a little one gallon bow mini, it has been sitting in the garage for years. I'm bored waiting for my 37gallon to cycle so would like to put this one to use. Can I put shrimps and snails in here and plant it? If so how many and what kind, and what kind of cycleing would it need? It currently has no heater and an undergravel filter. I'm deffinatly going to buy sand or something of the sort and will be willing to get a little filter, any ideas? And will it need a heater? The tank lid says this on top 1-120v7w60hz not sure if it pertains to the size and or light but thought I'd include it incase it could be relevant. Thanks for any info I have a 3-day weekend so I will have time to get stuff to get it started once I know what to get :)

you can do a nano shrimp tank and they make heaters and filters that are safe for small plastic tanks.

redchigh 04-30-2010 09:58 PM

As far as fish for a 1g, you have a few options actually.

You could put a couple endlers, or 1 male guppy (long-finned variety, they don't swim around as much.)
I agree on the shrimp thing,

I have a 5G that's only inhabited by 3 ghost shrimp, some snails, and a ton of plants.
No filter is even attached to that tank. The plants do a great job- I'm certain my tank could handle a much larger bioload if I eased into it.
I eventually either want some red cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp, and a school of ember tetras,
or
a devoted invert tank with about 3-4 diff kinds of shrimp and maybe a CPO :p

Sorry, went off on a rant..
I have a 1 gallon jar thats planted, and I can keep 2 guppies in it without any problems- they seem to stay active. (As long as the container is wide)

xrayjeeper83 05-01-2010 08:33 AM

not to steal the thread but what is a CPO?

Meenu 05-01-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 374413)
As far as fish for a 1g, you have a few options actually.

You could put a couple endlers, or 1 male guppy (long-finned variety, they don't swim around as much.)
I agree on the shrimp thing,

I have a 5G that's only inhabited by 3 ghost shrimp, some snails, and a ton of plants.
No filter is even attached to that tank. The plants do a great job- I'm certain my tank could handle a much larger bioload if I eased into it.
I eventually either want some red cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp, and a school of ember tetras,
or
a devoted invert tank with about 3-4 diff kinds of shrimp and maybe a CPO :p

Sorry, went off on a rant..
I have a 1 gallon jar thats planted, and I can keep 2 guppies in it without any problems- they seem to stay active. (As long as the container is wide)

Really, you're able to keep this stuff in a 1g? Do you know what your water parameters are? What is your maintenance schedule?

I have always thought that only shrimp are okay in a tank that small...

TorchwoodMindfreak 05-01-2010 10:43 AM

It's fine I wondered what it was to lol and I think they meant they want that in a 5 gallon

redchigh 05-01-2010 11:51 AM

Yea, sorry. A CPO is a tiny orange crawfish around 1-2 inches long.
It MIGHT work in a 1G, but it would have to be the only resident.

I do keep guppies in a 1G with snails, and I do a 10% water change weekly. They're planted (water wisteria, anarchis, duckweed, azolla) and nitrites/nitrates/and ammonia are all three zero.

I do have a bit of algae since the tank is in a sunny window, but parameters are good.

Meenu 05-01-2010 11:57 AM

very interesting. thanks for the response. :)

redchigh 05-01-2010 12:00 PM

That 1G, I have the distinct feeling that I could probably seal the top shut and they would do alright for a month or two-
Turn it into a Biosphere... 3-4 red cherries, 1 male guppy... Guppy and shrimp eat algae, guppy eats shrimp fry, plants process wastes... hmm.

konstargirl 05-01-2010 04:12 PM

All I could say is that for a tank really small like that, you can do either a shrimp tank, a snail tank or you could have a betta. :-) It has to be cycle though as shrimp are very sensitive to poor water quality and I wouldn't put them in a newly set up tank.