Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   How long for plants to oxygenate water? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/how-long-plants-oxygenate-water-42092/)

bones14 04-30-2010 04:04 PM

How long for plants to oxygenate water?

I just planted my 37g tank yesterday.I just came in and all of my fish were at the surface gasping for air.How long does it take for the plants to supply O2?I took out the airstone when I planted but just put it back in with low output?

willow 04-30-2010 04:08 PM

hi
how long has the tank been up and running,and what are the water readings
please if you could.

bones14 04-30-2010 04:25 PM

The tank has been running for about 5 months.Ph is 6.8 down from 7.0 when I checked last week before the plants and a new piece of dw went in.I left my other test kit at my dads yesterday when I checked his tanks so I'll have to get back with the other readings.Last week when I checked everything looked good as usual 0 ammonia,0 nitrites.
I do have a heavy fish load but I'm getting a 55g and am going to move some into it.

willow 04-30-2010 04:33 PM

mmm would it be possible for you to do a water change tonight ?

bones14 04-30-2010 04:38 PM

Yeah I was planning on doing one anyway to help clear it up from the planting.It cleared up alot overnight and did change about 50% yesterday when I planted.

willow 04-30-2010 04:51 PM

ok,don't just go by what i suggest,please wait until someone else pops in.
hang on.

bones14 04-30-2010 05:01 PM

The water is clearing up pretty good on its own so I'll wait on the w/c unless someone suggests doing it for another reason.But I really think its more to do with the fish load.

Mikaila31 05-01-2010 02:16 AM

Golden rule- If something seems amiss do a water change.

Byron 05-01-2010 01:08 PM

Agree totally with Mikaila. Fish gasping usually means there is something toxic in the water; it can also be a shortage of oxygen, which would appear to be the likely cause as you have explained things.

As to your initial question, plants photosynthesize in the presence of sufficient light and nutrients; oxygen is the byproduct of photosynthesis, so if the plants are growing they are generating oxygen. In a well planted tank there is considerably more oxygen produced during photosynthesis than the fish and bacteria (another user of oxygen) can use--provided the fish load is in balance. In your case, it appears not to be.

If everything tests OK and the airstone eases the problem, then oxygen is probably the issue and although I wouldn't normally recommend it with plants, in this case it is essential for the fish to live so keep the airstone running. The plants will make do; after all, if the overload of fish is the issue, as it sounds like it is, then the plants will probably have no difficulty getting carbon dioxide with an airstone running as the water may be quite saturated.

This is certainly a critical issue from your description; I hope the larger tank will be ready very soon.

Byron.