Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   molly about to give birth? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/molly-about-give-birth-4208/)

Falina 03-13-2007 06:13 PM

molly about to give birth?

are there any behavioural indications that a molly is about to give birth? ive got a wee breeding unit for her to go in when shes going to have her babies but i hate the thoguht of her being in there any longer than needed as its obviously not very big. i know a heavily planted tank would be the best way but my tank isnt very planted at all just now and she looks quite big, like she might give birth soon

thanks

- julie x

Lupin 03-14-2007 03:04 AM

Mollies nearing labor will often hide among plants and other hiding places. Abdomen should be almost square in shape.

I wouldn't use the breeding unit. Allow her to breed freely. The fry are agile and will be able to escape predation.

Falina 03-14-2007 04:23 AM

thanks. i really didnt like the idea of the breeding unit which was why i asked. shes still quite round them so might have a wee while to go. ill just have to keep a watchful eye on her then and put the fry in with the 10g with the cories who im pretty sure wont eat them when she does give birth cause left in the tank just now i think my pictus catfish would make short work of them. ill also start getting some more plants for any future births. are artificial plants alright for them to hide in or does it have to be real plants?

lioness501 03-14-2007 03:25 PM

ive noticed wen my mollies or guppies about to give birth, they r indeed very square on the back end and the anal area kinda sticks out! sounds bizarre, some ppl describe it as a little spike. also neither my guppies or molly stay still b4 birth, they get a little aggitated and swiftly dart around the tank, goin up and down against the glass.

fish_4_all 03-14-2007 05:09 PM

That's what my sowrds and guppies do just before giving birth. They start swimming up and down the glass for no reason and won't pay head to any other fish in the tank.

I don;t know about mollies but my guppies rarely ate the fry.

Falina 03-14-2007 06:01 PM

its not so much the mollies that i worry about, thoguh i hear theat they do eat their fry, its my pictus catfish as hes a fry eating machine apparently. i think she was pregnant when i bought her. shes pretty big but not square and i dont see a spike.

how long do fish remain pregnant for?

it would help to know so i could try and half-guess when she should be ready to give birth

thanks

Lupin 03-14-2007 09:05 PM

Usually 28 days.

Butterflyy 03-15-2007 09:02 PM

Female mollies always look a little swollen but seeing mine give birth about 3 times now their bellies do look square and kinda flat on the bottom, it is a noticeable difference. Same with my swordtail too, belly got square and flat.

Falina 03-16-2007 03:29 AM

thanks for everyones help. well after reading the replies i think she has a wee while to go yet so i have put more plants in the tank so that if she has them theyll have a better chance of surviving. ill keep a close eye on her to see if her behavioour changes nearer the time.

Falina 03-16-2007 09:50 PM

well i got home from uni today and went over to put the lights on in my tanks and saw one very tiny little fish. i looked closer and saw a few very tiny fish. i have since fished out all the fry and put them in my cory species tank to save them from becoming pictus dinner and have counted 29 of them :D im delighted!

thanks for your help everyone