Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish-diseases/)
-   -   my clown fish is swimming backwards (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish-diseases/my-clown-fish-swimming-backwards-4192/)

Mrmofo 03-13-2007 04:25 AM

my clown fish is swimming backwards

ive done all the tests but im at another house and dont have the tests or fish tank around me, but i remember doing them all 3 days ago and everything was fine, no ammonia, no nitrite and a lil bit of nitrate(the end cycle on i think or i got the nit's mixed around) salinity was in between the specific gravity of i think its like 1.024 or somthing.hardness was 150.

The problem is my clown fish sticks to the side of the tank and lays on his side and glides along the glass forward and backwards (never knew they could swim backwards) and when he gets touched by the net, he doesnt move at all and doesnt care...he is the biggest one in the tank, and its been running for about 2 months now so i think its cycled..i have a coral banded shrimp but i dont think hes scared of that.its so strange and only recently started happening can anyone help?its almost as if he is blind

fs49864 03-13-2007 10:45 AM

wait... I'm a bit confused... did you move the fish tank?

Does the fish have any odd looks to it other then the way it's swimming?

Is it the tank in your tank info that is 33 gallons?

Do all the other fish appear to be fine?

What kind of clownfish is it?

Mrmofo 03-14-2007 04:11 AM

the white n orange ones not sure but they r tank bread and got them off a breader they r mated, all fish appear to be fine n healthy, he swims on the front panel of glass up the top trying to get gulp of air? i did a water change and he is still doing the same thing maybe he is blinde? the little other fish swims around him. he isnt eating food and when i net him he doesnt seem to see it till he is in the net, where as normal fish try to swim away

Melissa 03-14-2007 05:48 AM

he may be dying. atleast thats what it sounds like. and watch out for your coral banded shrimp. that are aggressive and can eat your small fish.

Mrmofo 03-14-2007 06:15 AM

i relise he mite be dying anything i can do?...a water change can only do so much?anyone have a problem and fix it? i really dont wanna loose a mated fish esp since the breeder told me to take realllly good care of it...anyone?

fs49864 03-14-2007 08:48 AM

I'm going to guess you have a percula clown or false percula.

Do you have an air pump?

Also do you know the water temperature?

Melissa 03-14-2007 09:30 AM

have you noticed if there is ich or any other diseases you can see?

fs49864 03-14-2007 03:11 PM

I'm also not quite sure what your fish has, but it may be a good idea to give it a freshwater dip. Not sure if you have done that before but if it is a parasite it helps get rid of them, and it's free(or not to expensive). :D
As long as you have clean water (you can use tap but make sure it's dechorlinated).
Also try to get close to the same temp water and pH.
I'd also suggest you use an airstone in the container your using while doing this. (You can get small battery powered packs at a petstore and some stores like kmart,walmart, or target for <$10)

However if you've never done this before this might be hard.
You can probably look up or ask for some more directions on how to do this.

The whole process shouldn't take longer then a few minutes either.

But just make sure you have everything and are ready if you do attempt to give it a freshwater dip.

Mrmofo 03-15-2007 12:52 AM

sounds pretty straight forward, i have an air stone i use in a small fresh water tank and a spare pump...so i just dip it in there for like 3 mins? with fresh water? so i have to get the fresh water (no salt) to 8.1 PH which i can prolly accomplish with PH up but if i just get an ice cream container and fill it and leave him in for 3 mins or so sound like a good idea?

Melissa 03-15-2007 05:46 AM

this will only work if he might have parasites. if there is something else wrong then it wont help anything.