Tropical Fish Keeping banner

so it starts

4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  xrayjeeper83 
#1 ·
Finally got some plants in my 5 gallon. I got the plants from petsmart, they are the ones that are in a tubes. I got 4" kyoto grass(like this one the most so far), umbrella plants, and finally a Peacock fern(not a big fan) I plan on getting a lot more of the grass and maybe something a bit taller.

I know the water is clouded, all the sand hasnt settled yet.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Before you buy more of these, please note than some of them are not true aquatic plants.

The Fountain grass if it is Ophiopogon japonicus or O. japonicus var. kyoto, will usually do OK permanently submerged. However, you can get true aquatic plants that will definitely do OK submerged and look almost identical. Sagittaria subulata I'm thinking of, you can see it in the photos of my 90g flooded Amazon forest tank, the taller grass-like plant on the left.

The fern-looking plant I suspect is not aquatic. Do you by any chance have the name? And the name of the other plant too? I may have more suggestions when I know the names.

Stores like the chain frequently sell terrestrial or amphibious plants as aquatic. One has to know the plants. If not true aquatic, they will usually last for a time under water, then quickly rot and create problems.

Byron.

#3 ·
on the "bottle" they came in(should have figure it out there) the names are Ophiopogon Japonica, the short grass/ Spathiphyllum Wallisii, the wide leaf plant/ Selaginella wildenowii, the fern. They are all from Top Fin.

#4 ·
Exactly what I suspected from the photos. The grass, I was certain of, so previous advice holds. The dark-leaf plant I thought looked like the Peace Lily (you can buy these as houseplants, they do very well in shade) Spathiphyllum wallisii, comes from Columbia, will often be fine submerged (according to Hiscock) but keep an eye on it. The other fern plant I know nothing about except that it is similar to true ferns. It would probably be best with roots in water but leaves in air, as in a terrarium. Keep a very close eye on this one.

True aquatic plants are better bets long-term. Some are in our profiles, Sweet Aquatics is a recommended retailo site online that will have photos.

Byron.

#5 ·
The best bet with a chain store is to go to sweetaquatics.com, and find 10 or so plants that you like.

Then take the list to a manager of the store and ask if they can order any of them for you. (They'll probably be able to get half of the ones you pick out) and expect to pay 5-6 dollars each.

Personally, I just order from sweetaquatics, but I have asked my local lfs chain superstore to order things in the past- just because its not in the tank doesn't mean they can't get it.

#12 ·
Yep, that's true but for most of my plants that was the only way to get them. I have a larger tank so I was able to place a huge order, so it didn't "hurt" as much. I wish I had some saggitaria, I'd send you some if I did.

#13 ·
ya a big order wouldnt be bad, but 10 dollars worth of plants and 20 of shipping just isnt a smart move to me lol. Ill just keep looking around or ask my LFS if they can get it for me

#14 ·
We were out of town this past weekend and we unable to stock the website till today. We are now fully stocked and have added many new plants and sizes. Also we are now ordering every week so long term sold out will be limited. Thank you guys for the continued support.
Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.