Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Pleco

12K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  aunt kymmie 
#1 ·
How often should I feed my pleco cucumber? I have one that's about three inches and the other is one inch, I've been putting a chunk in there forthem to nibble once a day. Too much or too little?

#3 ·
Good question. I have another. How do you get the cucumber to the bottom for the pleco's to eat without sticking your whole arm in the tank? I found out the hard way just a couple days ago that cucumbers float VERY well:)

#4 ·
The bigger one is a gold nugget and I'm not sure what the smaller one is, they both came with the tank. I have those two and a blue gourami, nothing else in the tank so far. I notice the pleco's go after the flake food too, since the blue gourami doesn't eat it all before it hits the bottom, but I've been feeding the two plecos a slice of cucumber a night. Algea discs? I'll have to buy some of those, how often do you feed plecos? Just trying to make sure I'm taking care of them correctly

#5 ·
I use Hikari Algae discs and put a couple in every couple days for my 2 longfin bn pleco's and 5 kuhli loaches. Pleco's will eat whatever drops for food and of course algae in the tank so I have not had to put wafers in every day for them.

#7 ·
So I'm still kinda confused on how often to feed the pleco. Do I do those algae discs one night and cucumber the next? If anyone can give me a specific amount I should be feeding them daily, I'd appreciate it. Just want to make sure I'm not feeding them too little or too much.

#8 ·
I put in cucumber, spinach or zucchini about every third day or so for my pleco. I use the "forking" method. I put in an algae wafer every second night. So, basically I'm feeding him four nights out of seven. I put his food in at night so I can be sure the pleco is "on it" as he's basically a nocturnal feeder. Other than that I don't worry about him as I know he's scavenging any leftovers he comes across.

#9 ·
Well, my plecos must be fussy. I have put cucumbers in for them twice now on the night I don't put in an algae wafer and they totally ignore it. The big one saw it as a threat and tried backing into it with his tail and all his fins extended. So maybe instead of fussy I have stoopid plecos:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.