Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   What's in demand right now? (What should I breed) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/whats-demand-right-now-what-should-41872/)

redchigh 04-26-2010 06:03 PM

What's in demand right now? (What should I breed)

I want to try my hand on breeding (guppies don't count.)
I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of fry, so things that take care of their own young are more or less ruled out (unless it's difficult to make them spawn, then thats okay. I can just not let them spawn anymore.)

After consulting with my pet store...
Here is a list of things I can order that might be fun to breed, and if I get swamped I'm sure tons of people would pay shipping for a free RAOK
Galaxy rasbora
CPO (dwarf mexican crawfish)
Red Chery Shrimp (not in demand that much from what I see when I try to sell them.)
Amano Shrimp (but these need brackish, right?)
Neon Tetra
Ember Tetra
Pygmy Corydoras
Dwarf Puffer

I originally wanted to do thai micro crabs, until I realised a breeding group would be like $90. Plus, no one knows how to make them breed...Although I have a theory on how to breed them, just no money for the initial stock)

Anyone else have any ideas? Just say anything that likes a PH of around 6. and will fit in a 10G tank.
(I have a 5G setup for the fry or the parents after spawning- haven't decided if it would be easier to move the parents or the fry.
Or if there's something you've been looking for... mention it and I'll see if I can get it.

xrayjeeper83 04-26-2010 06:41 PM

Id get ethier the puffer or Ember Tetra for my 5 gallon, Im already going to order RCS from you on friday

or sparkling gourami's

Mikaila31 04-26-2010 09:16 PM

BN plecos are fairly easy and alway seem to be wanted IMO. Depends on what breeding tanks you have I guess, rainbows are fun too but can take some effort. Neons as far as I am aware rarely breed in aquariums, farms use hormones to get them to breed.

I miss my sparkling gouramis, they were awesome fish!

redchigh 04-27-2010 10:41 AM

I thought puffers were risky bc they can kill each other...
Still considering them, but not quite sure.
Plus I'm limited to a 10G...

Could I breed tetras and BN pleco in the same 10G? Hmm...

redchigh 05-10-2010 02:11 AM

Any other ideas?

I also may do Endlers, but I'm not crazy about the refined "black bars" or "Tiger", I just want wild-type.

Would people do a RAOK for endlers?

ferszty 05-10-2010 06:02 AM

i agree with mikaila31 bns are a good fish really easy to breed lot of fun (babys grow really slow).

redchigh 05-11-2010 02:42 PM

But would I be able to have a pair in a 10G tank?

I think I'm leaning towards cories....*shrug*

fryup 05-12-2010 04:48 AM

i wish they sold endlers over here( england) in pet shops coz i want some :):):)

redchigh 05-12-2010 09:37 AM

Alright, I think I've decided on Corys and tetras.

Beyond that, I'm stumped.

Most likely, it will be salt'n'pepper cory (Corydoras habrosus) and some species of tetra...
Perhaps Ember Tetras...

I'll keep my 5G empty, and move plants/java moss back and forth whenever I see them spawn.