Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Platies or guppies? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/platies-guppies-41839/)

La Reina 04-25-2010 10:02 PM

Platies or guppies?

Well, I've had platies since I first got my aquarium in November and I'd like to start breeding. Buuutt.... I've got two males left and I can't handdle the number of babies that the six-plus females needed for those two would produce.

Should I get a female platy and take my chances? Or should I get a pair of guppies?

**I have a dwarf gourami, would he eat my adult guppies?

Also, I have two male mollies in my tank and I know that guppies and mollies can interbreed. Would they if a male guppy was present?

bettababy 04-26-2010 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Reina (Post 369638)
Well, I've had platies since I first got my aquarium in November and I'd like to start breeding. Buuutt.... I've got two males left and I can't handdle the number of babies that the six-plus females needed for those two would produce.
Have you considered rehoming one of the male platys? Considering the amount of fry even a pair of either species will produce in a short period of time, a 2nd tank is something I strongly suggest (unless you have another outlet for the fry while they are small). That nursery tank can also work well as a holding tank for 1 of the males, or both if need be to stop the breeding at any point.

Should I get a female platy and take my chances? Or should I get a pair of guppies?
If you get guppies you will still want 2 females for each male. I would not suggest adding 1 female platy to a tank with 2 male platys, thats just inviting problems.

**I have a dwarf gourami, would he eat my adult guppies?
That depends on your gourami's personality, how heavily the tank is decorated, and how well the guppies can swim, how big the fins are, etc. Is there a chance? yes. There is also a chance the same thing would happen with the mollys and platys, they can be bullies too when it comes to guppies.

Also, I have two male mollies in my tank and I know that guppies and mollies can interbreed. Would they if a male guppy was present?
Not likely, that is rare, especially if they have their own species to breed with.

I hope that helps.

fryup 04-26-2010 08:38 AM

well iv kept fish almost a year now....even from the begining iv had guppys and platys....in total from my guppy girls over this time iv had 88 fry...and from my platys 0 :):):)...if your wanting to breed i would be guppies :)

herbwin 04-26-2010 10:59 AM

I think there is 0% chance of a male molly and male guppy breeding :)

If you have one female livebearer with multiple males, they will hassle her a lot, better to have more femeles than males, or at the very least, equal numbers.

DGs are fune with most small fish, but even peaceful fish can be tempted to nip male guppie's tails.
Posted via Mobile Device

biokid101 04-26-2010 07:01 PM

well i just had a batch of platy fry and they r a little bigger than guppy fry i might say.i have around 10...im gonna post a thread on it..if i were u i would move the dwarf gouramis or get a tank just for the fish u were trying to breed.

La Reina 04-26-2010 09:25 PM

I bought guppies! I've got a really nice green snakeskin male, a yellow-tailed female (Perhaps a snakeskin too...?), and a REALLY nice female with a big pink spotted tail. I can't wait for the pink's babies!

I've named the male Carlos because he looks exotic. Any ideas for names for the girls?

Austin 04-27-2010 02:40 AM

Sunny? ;D

tanker 04-27-2010 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Reina (Post 370178)
Any ideas for names for the girls?

Primrose for the yellow one, Petunia for the pink one.

biokid101 04-27-2010 05:36 PM

i like petunia

La Reina 04-27-2010 07:34 PM

The yellow tail passed away while I was at school. I was expecting it, she was really hard to catch at the store and got banged up. :-( The other two are doing fine so far.