Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Platies are agressive towards each other. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/platies-agressive-towards-each-other-41722/)

konstargirl 04-23-2010 06:05 PM

Platies are agressive towards each other.

Hi. Heres another question I want to cover today. My three platies are constantly chasing each other. My male platy is chasing my oher female platy pearl, the 3 month old platy Kara is chasing hyper and pearl is chasing Kara. It's like agressive chaos in the 10 gallon tank. I'm so glad they aren't agressive toward the cories nor Gary. Can some help lower down the agression?
Thanks

fryup 04-24-2010 03:15 AM

buy more plants real or fake....this will break up there line of sign stoping them from seeing each other and stoping them chasing each other.....platys are livebearers, all they want to do is breed:lol: ...

i had 2 males and 1 female a few month back and first thing in a morning my 2 males would display to each other from the opposite ends of the tank then theywould slowly get closer then swim in a circle around each other biting there tails it was a sight to see, but not good for the males....unfortunatly 1 died when my heater blew out and then he got white spot

hope this helps :):):)

konstargirl 04-24-2010 09:18 AM

Well I put a tank divider. Hyper on one side and everyone else on the other. Of course hyper got the least speace because everyone else needs a little more room. It lessons down the agression a little bit with just the females, but pearl still chases the baby. Remember it only happens when the lights are on.

fryup 04-24-2010 11:04 AM

ok that could work for so long then the "loner" will become stressed...i woul;d personaly surgest getting more females if you have the room :)

konstargirl 04-24-2010 01:18 PM

Well I'm currently housing 1 apple snail and 2 juli cories with them.

redchigh 04-24-2010 01:53 PM

I only have two male platies (I think they're male anyway- I have no trouble sexing guppies, but can't figure out these platies.)

One constantly chases the other one... The submissive one seems happy hanging out in the plants though, so I guess it's okay. Even limited to the heavily planted areas, he has free reign of about 60% of the tank. The aggressive one just likes the top-front where there's open water.

DCR 04-24-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 368791)
I only have two male platies (I think they're male anyway- I have no trouble sexing guppies, but can't figure out these platies.)

Alot of live bearers, platies included, can be sexed by looking for the gonopodium, which is an intromittent organ found at the anal fin of the male fish. This is from where the male gametes are injected. On males, it will appear as though the anal fin is more of a "stick," whereas, in females, the anal fin is typically more triangular in shape.

As for the original poster's dilemma, I've found that livebearers in general can get a little nippy with each other if the male/female ratio is off. Livebearers, for lack of a more civilized term, are hornballs, and will chase and nip at each other unless there is a sufficient outlet for their frustrations. Heh. Usually, if you have the gallons, I'd recommend adding more fish to diffuse the behavior. When setting up livebearer tanks in the past, I've used the ratio of one male per three to four females, and that's worked out pretty well for me. Experiences differ though, so make sure to get more opinions.

Thanks--
DCR

konstargirl 04-27-2010 05:19 PM

I used to have 3 female palties and my male is only agressive towards one and he still is, although I could him sort lookl ike he was breeding. Weird I know, but it only happens when the lights are off. I'm not going to add anymore fish because now my tank is overstocked again because there are alot of platy in the tank now..