Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   total moron cycle question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/total-moron-cycle-question-41580/)

bearwithfish 04-21-2010 08:24 PM

total moron cycle question

ok so i have read and re-read a bunch of the other posts but i have to ask i have a very high NH3 reading in a tank that is just finally all set up should i do a partial water change or let things be for a bit longer? here is all my tank info
29 gallon salt water
salinity 1.025 (same as my LFS for ease of acclimation later on)
45 pounds dry rock
2.5 pounds live rock
45 pounds of live sand (pre-cured and ready to go)
KH= 9
PH =7.7
NO2 = 0.3
NH3= 3.0

i added the last of the sand yesterday evening. found some cool life in the tank
snail, feather duster, starfish, and variouse worms....
whats the next step P/W/C or sit tight???????:blueshake::blueshake:

wake49 04-21-2010 10:02 PM

Sit tight. You will be fine in a few days, amybe a week's time. Does the water smell at all? The ammonia reading you are seeing is all part of the natural die-off that occurs when you start a new tank. Keep us updated on the levels of Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate over the next few days. Post in the afternoon after the lights come on. And hopefully that pH comes up. What is your calcium level?

bearwithfish 04-21-2010 10:06 PM

i dont have a calcium test yet.... my lights go on at 7am befor we leave for the day....yes the water smells i thought it was from the shrimp i put in to get things moving so took it out..... what could i use to raise ph in a stable manner.. i dont want to chemicaly dose as the effects are short lived you know... funny thing just to point it out all my fresh water tanks show a higher PH (generally 8 or so)

wake49 04-22-2010 08:05 AM

Where did you get the sand and dry rock?

bearwithfish 04-22-2010 08:09 AM

i have a great local dealer here and i got it from him.. he has been doing salt for a long time and has a really good reputaion in the area... personally i love working with him because he understands the budget issues and is always willing to help me figure out ways to DIY or get things a bit cheaper even at the expence of a sale for himself....

wake49 04-22-2010 09:45 AM

I asked because the "pre-cured" sand can sometimes not be cured, especially after it has been disturbed. If that is the case then the smell might be the ammonia spike from the die-off of anaerobic bacteria.

bearwithfish 04-22-2010 09:53 AM

he had it in a large stock tank for a few weeks and there was alot of life in and around it in there.... my biggest concern at this moment is that it looks like i have a thin layer of "dust" all over everything in the tank.. i thin kthis is part of the die off butt it looks like junk!!! i kicked it up last night and tossed some spong in my HOB to catch it and when i took the spong out this morning i had quite a bit but there is again a layer of this stuff on my rock, sand, every where!!! is this normal? i only have cell pix at this moment and i am not sure how to get them on line but if you want PM me your cell and i will send it to you.....

wake49 04-22-2010 10:30 AM

That aragonite sand has a tendency to cause a dust storm and leave a fine film over everything. It will go away, just be patient. Running the sponge in the HOB is a good idea to filter a lot of the waterbourne stuff out and clear up the water.

bearwithfish 04-22-2010 10:34 AM

good deal i just take it out each day and rinse it well then add a new dry one and go back and forth each day .. while one dries the other is being used i may change to a filer pad set for a bit though for best flow and capture ability...

bearwithfish 04-22-2010 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a some what close up of one side of the tank.. you get the idea.... this is the dust like stuff all over the place.. i just spoke with my guy here and we came up with a plan...
1st let it sit for a few days
then if no real change then i am going to hook up a bunch of HOB's with filter pads or floss and shat not then take a net and wave it all up into the water colomn and let the filters pull it out
after the water clears remove all the filters and clean the floss or pads to use at a later time if needed (NEVER let them sit in the tank for more than 24 hours!!)

Attachment 11184