Tropical Fish Keeping banner

10 G betta tank with sand substrate?

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Gibbons 
#1 ·
I got a 10 gallon tank and put a fiberglass divider up. I'm still in the beginning stages of getting the tank up and running so I have time to plan or change things. The tank is for two Bettas, being split obviously, and maybe adding another fish or ghost shrimp. I was thinking of putting sand in. I never used sand before but always liked how it look. I was going to get play sand from home depot. So my questions are:

1. Is sand a good substrate for Bettas?
2. I know you have to rinse play sand, what is a good method for this?
3. How do you clean sand, I've always used gravel and a gravel vac?
4. I planned on planting the tank, do plants do well in sand?

#2 ·
I got a 10 gallon tank and put a fiberglass divider up. I'm still in the beginning stages of getting the tank up and running so I have time to plan or change things. The tank is for two Bettas, being split obviously, and maybe adding another fish or ghost shrimp. I was thinking of putting sand in. I never used sand before but always liked how it look. I was going to get play sand from home depot. So my questions are:

1. Is sand a good substrate for Bettas? Yes, my betta does just fine on sand, going on two years.
2. I know you have to rinse play sand, what is a good method for this? Big bucket, filled about halfway w/ sand, add water, stir around, let sand settle, pour the water off the top, then do it all over again, about ten times!
3. How do you clean sand, I've always used gravel and a gravel vac? You hover the gravel vac just above the surface, sucking up all the gunk. Much easier than having to shove a gravel vac down into gravel.
4. I planned on planting the tank, do plants do well in sand? All my tanks are planted, all my tanks have sand (one with the Home Depot play sand), all my plants grow well. (I have proper lighting, dose with liquid ferts once a week, put root tabs under the heavy feeders about every one to to months...all this I would be doing anyway, if I had gravel.
Just my experience and what works for me. :)

#3 ·
Thank you very much, I appreciate your help. I don't mind at all washing the sand, keeping fish is a hobby of mine and I don't mind the work it comes with. Also I enjoy doing as much as I can on my own. I'm glad that my plan is coming together well then. I have a water wisteria I'm planning on splitting and adding to my new tank. I have liquid fertilizer and have invested in daylight bulbs, 6500K. I'm hoping that will be good to start off my tank. Also I have seen on youtube that a person, "TheBettaMaster" is his name, has a crayfish. Since I'm splitting a 10 gallon in half would it be bad to try and get a crayfish? Would 5 gallons be too small? I've heard they're good at keeping the tank clean. I'm also a big fan of Crustaceans; they're just so cool. Would ghost shrimp be a better choice?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.