Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   How Much SHAMPOO and CONDITIONER? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/how-much-shampoo-conditioner-41410/)

xxabc 04-18-2010 11:31 PM

How Much SHAMPOO and CONDITIONER?

As it says.

I really have NO idea how much to use of each, and I figured...why not ask. Here's a quick description.
Black hair. Very un-damaged, I have never straightened, permed, or colored/dyed my hair. About the length of your hand down from your shoulders is my length (no need to be accurate, here!). It's thick, but thin (lol).

How much should I use of each? I might be using way too much according to the net. Just wanted to see what you (ladies?) use for yourself.

Also, any tips on how to grow hair faster (besides more haircuts). My layers are too short, so it looks bad.

And plus, they decided to sell bettas at my Walmart. Darn.

aunt kymmie 04-18-2010 11:36 PM

For real? I use salon brand products, pay more than I probably should but I notice a difference. About two pumps per bottle (about a tablespoon). Fastest way to make hair grow? Don't cut it. Hair grows approx. an inch per month. I can't think of anything that'll make it grow faster except to eat well and excercise, which we should all do anyway. :)

TigerLily 04-18-2010 11:43 PM

For a healthy person, hair usually grows on average of a half an inch per month. It can be more or less depending on your diet and family history. Taking a biotin supplement can help increase your growth rate for hair as well as fingernails.

Also, make sure that your hair care products do not contain silicone (any ingredient ending in -cone). These can, unless they are stripped regularly, build up and prevent moisture from reaching your hair. They are very common in brands that claim to "repair" hair, as they can act as a sort of "glue" to keep split ends together. Really, damaged ends can never be repaired, that's just a sale-pitch. The best thing to do is trim them before they get worse.

I use very small amounts of shampoo and conditioner, shampoo'ing only the scalp and conditioning only the length of the hair. I also like to clarify once a week with an apple cider vinegar rinse to get rid of any build up from shampoo. It's two parts water, one part acv.
I also like to do moisture treatments every now and again. I use Snowy's Home-made Moisture treatment:
1 part Fave conditioner (must be moisture), mine is VO5-Sun Kissed Raspberry.
1/4 part honey
1/4 part clear aloe vera gel (I use Fruit of the Earth).

Place in a cup and warm in microwave for 10 to 15 seconds--just until warm. Wash hair and squeeze out excess, blot dry, leave in under heat cap, warm towels or shower cap, what have you, for an hour or so. Rinse well.

In case you can't tell, I love hair-care. This is a fun topic for me. :-D

iamntbatman 04-19-2010 04:29 AM

I use approximately one squirt of Suave for Men 2-in-1 Shampoo and Conditioner. It has never done me wrong, haha.

willow 04-19-2010 04:43 AM

i give up with my hair,the only time it has ever looked a bit nice
was when i had a hairdresser friend of mine high lite it for me,
it stayed un greasy for about two days.
i don't use much in the way of either product about a squirt the same as everyone else.

BettaxFishxCrazy 04-19-2010 07:11 AM

Lol iamntbatman! Guys have is sooo easy...my bf never has to blow dry his hair and I spend 15 minutes doing it.lol My hair is really thick and I've colored it sooo many times, but luckily it's very healthy. My hair dresser can't believe how healthy it is after everything I've done to it.lol

My mom used to be a hair dresser, so she buys all of my shampoo and conditioner at a beauty store. Since my hairs so thick I tend to use a little more shampoo, but I don't use that much conditioner. :)

spoot 04-19-2010 09:39 AM

I shave my head. I find it's less hassle, even on windy days.
Posted via Mobile Device

doggyhog 04-19-2010 09:51 AM

Thought you were talking about grooming dogs... Darn. :-P

Well, can't help you with human hair! I know nothing about it!

aunt kymmie 04-19-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerLily (Post 365378)
For a healthy person, hair usually grows on average of a half an inch per month. It can be more or less depending on your diet and family history. Taking a biotin supplement can help increase your growth rate for hair as well as fingernails.

Also, make sure that your hair care products do not contain silicone (any ingredient ending in -cone). These can, unless they are stripped regularly, build up and prevent moisture from reaching your hair. They are very common in brands that claim to "repair" hair, as they can act as a sort of "glue" to keep split ends together. Really, damaged ends can never be repaired, that's just a sale-pitch. The best thing to do is trim them before they get worse.

I use very small amounts of shampoo and conditioner, shampoo'ing only the scalp and conditioning only the length of the hair. I also like to clarify once a week with an apple cider vinegar rinse to get rid of any build up from shampoo. It's two parts water, one part acv.
I also like to do moisture treatments every now and again. I use Snowy's Home-made Moisture treatment:
1 part Fave conditioner (must be moisture), mine is VO5-Sun Kissed Raspberry.
1/4 part honey
1/4 part clear aloe vera gel (I use Fruit of the Earth).

Place in a cup and warm in microwave for 10 to 15 seconds--just until warm. Wash hair and squeeze out excess, blot dry, leave in under heat cap, warm towels or shower cap, what have you, for an hour or so. Rinse well.

In case you can't tell, I love hair-care. This is a fun topic for me. :-D

Wow, great info Tiger Lily. The average growth per month is only 1/2"? I'm lucky as mine grows much more than much. Thanks for correcting my incorrect statement!

I'm going to try your moisture treatment. I remember in high school once a handful of us thought using mayonaise would be a great way to moisturize our hair. Wrong. After leaving a glob of mayonaise on my head for about 30 minutes I shampooed it out only to find that my hair looked greasy. Five shampoos later it still looked greasy. Yours sounds like it will be much better. :)

My biggest feat was figuring out how to color hair, and do it well. My hair started getting gray when I was only 30 (Egads!!). A cut and color was costing me $120.00 every six weeks and it bugged me to be paying so much money for what looked like "pour it in the bowl, mix it around, paint on hair and wait for 45 minutes". Now I only pay $7.59 a month to color my hair. :-)
I'm a brunette so doing the color thing is easy, since I'm only using one color. The challenge was to do my sister, who is "surfside blond" with highlights. Hair stylists earn their money doing the two color highlight!

xxabc 04-19-2010 05:13 PM

My mom is a hairdresser too. I didn't ask her because when i ask "stupid question" (haha) she'll stare me down, as if I'm telepathically receiving all necessary information in that one lil' glare. But it's because of her that I am soooo not aloud to do anything to my hair, except snipping it away! (Lol. One time, when I was 5, my hair was down to my waist and was maintained very well. I decided to get it cut to my shoulders when I was 6. SHe cried when she cut it!! Lol!)

So. "A squirt." Is a squirt a tablespoon? A tablespoon looks about-ish what I'm using. However, a squirt is much less. I think I'm going to cut it down a bit today and experiment. Hmmm. Thanks for all the info!!

And Tiger Lily, did you have a bit of fun there? LOl :)

Well I was also told that using "natural ingredients" in your hair makes it grow faster. Hopefully the claim is true, because I'm using "all natural stuff" for my shampoo/conditioner.

I asked my mom, as a joke, if I could shave my hair. She thought I was serious. Never again.... hahaha. Honestly I take poor care of my hair, I just don't do anything to it. I don't blow dry, I mess around the towel in my hair to dry it, I just walk around, and poof, hair dries hours later. Ta-da? Hehehe. But that 2-in-1 shampoo does NOT work for me! Heheh.