Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Are there any gouramis that would do well with my fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/there-any-gouramis-would-do-well-4130/)

jandpgault 03-11-2007 07:50 PM

Are there any gouramis that would do well with my fish?

I purchased a sunset gourami several weeks ago, but he died within the first couple of days. (unknown death, I guess due to the move and stress)I like the look of the gouramis, but I am unsure if I would like to try and purchase another. From everything I have been reading, I'm not sure they would do well in my tank with my community fish.

I have a 55 gallon tank with these fish:

1 pleco
3 lemon tetras
3 black neon tetras
5 blue neon tetras
1 silver dollar
1 glass fish
3 guppies
4 mollies
2 platies
1 loach
2 dwarf african frogs

So should I risk getting any gouramis? Are they too aggressive? Are there any non-aggressive that would be safe with my fish?

musho3210 03-11-2007 07:57 PM

hmm i wouldnt get gouramis but rather finish your schools of the other fish.

Sadie 03-11-2007 08:01 PM

gourami

Just with my limited experience with Honey Gouramis, I would say Honeys will be fin nippers. I have 2 in a 10gal and the one has messed the other one's tail up a bit chasing her. She is shy and was ill when the tank was cycling but he still chases her back to the corners or into hiding so with these, I would worry about the guppys.

jandpgault 03-11-2007 08:17 PM

musho3210 - you mentioned something about schools...

I have been told (from the place where I purchase the fish) that I only needed 3 for a school, but lately I have been reading that 4 to 6 is better for schooling fish. Which is better and/or correct?

Also, I know that tetras are a schooling fish. Are there any other fish on my list that need to be in a school?

musho3210 03-11-2007 08:22 PM

Re: musho3210 - you mentioned something about schools...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jandpgault
I have been told (from the place where I purchase the fish) that I only needed 3 for a school, but lately I have been reading that 4 to 6 is better for schooling fish. Which is better and/or correct?

Also, I know that tetras are a schooling fish. Are there any other fish on my list that need to be in a school?

All fish are different, i know cory catfish are schoolers but do well in a group of 3, same goes with danios, but some fish require schools of 6 or more. These are minimums, a cory school of 6 is better than 3 but either will work. Some fish need a school of 6 and no less or they will be very stressed and have possible death. 6 is the common minimum since most schooling fish are in the 6 category, others in the 3.

I think the silver dollars need a school and the glass fish (if it is the glass cat fish than i dont think they need one but if it is the glass tetra thingy then im pretty sure they do)

EDIT: yes after googling both of them they both need schools

herefishy 03-12-2007 08:23 PM

Rule of thumb, 6 fish equal 1 school.

jb92 03-18-2007 06:55 AM

i think gold, three spotted, snakeskin, dwarf, honey and most other gouramis would be fine in your tank, i have some very similar fish to the ones you have and iv got three spotted, gold, kissing and a snakeskin gourami.

Falina 03-18-2007 07:09 AM

Quote:

im pretty sure glass catfish like to be in a school as well

Falina 03-18-2007 07:11 AM

i tried to quote somebody and did it wrong! trying again ...

Quote:

I think the silver dollars need a school and the glass fish (if it is the glass cat fish than i dont think they need one but if it is the glass tetra thingy then im pretty sure they do)
im pretty sure glass catfish like to be in school as well but not 100% certain. according to www.thetropicaltank.com they do

[/quote]

jandpgault 03-18-2007 05:16 PM

schools...

Yes, I do need to finish out my schools before I go on to other fish. I plan on getting more silver dollars and a few more neon and black tetras. I don't know if I want any more glass tetra fish though. The one I have is pretty mean and he picks on my silver dollar all the time. If they were in schools though, it may not be so bad.