Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   what kind of live foods could i drop in the tank??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-kind-live-foods-could-i-413/)

mistergoodstuf 09-09-2006 01:34 AM

what kind of live foods could i drop in the tank???

i have a jack dempsey, knifefish, tiger oscar, convict, blood parrot, and a pleco in a 100 gallon tank. i was wondering what i could feed them. what kind of live foods could i drop in? worms? flies? and do i have to boil or cook any meats i throw in the tank? thanks

Lupin 09-09-2006 01:46 AM

Live foods will often harbor pathogens which will transmit or cause diseases to your fish.

I suggest you buy the frozen or freeze-dried(often labelled as FD for short) stuffs.

Vary the food menu rather than sticking to a few ones as the fish will receive various vitamins they need at that.

Frozen bloodworms are often available in your lfs. A majority of your fish are carnivorous so bloodworms should be ok. Just don't feed them too much on bloodworms as it will cause digestive upsets to the fish.

Freeze-dried ones are also ok. Daphnia, krills, brine shrimps and bloodworms are available in freeze-dried form.

crazie.eddie 09-09-2006 01:55 AM

(Message deleted by poster)

mistergoodstuf 09-09-2006 01:58 AM

thanks.

and what about the meats like beef liver or beef heart. how would i prepare them? and how often should i feed it? the fish wont grow to their maximum potential on just flake food, bloodworms, and krill .. right?

crazie.eddie 09-09-2006 02:05 AM

Lupin 09-09-2006 02:07 AM

I haven't tried beef liver but for beefheart, remove the fatty tissues which are white in color. Then cut them into smaller pieces for your fish to eat and digest them easier. Feed the fish with beefhearts only once a week to reduce the chance of intestinal flagellates.
Don't cook the beefhearts. You feed the fish raw.

The growth of your fish will depend on how often you feed them. Vary the food menu and you'll be surprised that they grow faster than expected.

Water changes is also crucial. Try to do frequent water changes to maintain the tankwater in good condition. Remember to treat the new water with dechlorinator.

Poor water conditions will obviously stunt the fish's growth.

mistergoodstuf 09-09-2006 02:03 PM

thanks for the info.

regarding the tubifex worms. i bought some packed Wardley tubifex worms and the fish seem to like them, especially the knifefish. do these cause intestinal disorders or septicemia like the frozen ones?

crazie.eddie 09-09-2006 02:15 PM