Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   What Pricey freshwater fish can I keep and breed In a 55 gallon Aquarium? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/what-pricey-freshwater-fish-can-i-41233/)

TheKeeperofAquaticFish 04-16-2010 11:52 AM

What Pricey freshwater fish can I keep and breed In a 55 gallon Aquarium?

Hi everyone

I am looking for a relatively easy to breed freshwater fish that I can keep and earn some extra cash breeding. I work in an Aquarium store so I will have to problems disposing off the fry. And I know how to take care of an aquarium because I already own one and handle quite a few at work.
The size of the tank will be 40x18x18 which is 55 gallons if I am not mistaking.
I will be running a EHEIM Canister filter, which ever one is suitable for a 55g (200L) tank and is very quiet because this tank will be kept in my room. If anyone has any recommendation for the model please inform me.

And from experience I'm thinking L group Catfish or some sort of African Cichlid? that will be highly valued.

kelly528 04-16-2010 12:17 PM

Honestly I think your best bet for profits would be a mondo of dwarf shrimp. You can keep about 10 shrimp per gallon if you're filtering/changing the water well and plant the tank with lots of moss. Say you do CRS and sell them independantly (the store will pay you crap for them) for $8 each, a very competitive price. Say you are keeping somewhere around 400 shrimp, making your tank 'worth' a little more than $300. If you sell off 30 shrimp per month that brings in $200 monthly.

That being said you need patience and it would take the colony a good few months if you started off with 10 or 20 so lots of patience is neccessary!

Just my idea.

herbwin 04-16-2010 05:21 PM

Did you mean you want to sell them to the shop where you work? If so, just ask the owner/fish buyer what they could use most. Many fish do not mail well, local water tank raised fish of these types may be welcomed.

If you will sell to other stores, ask what they could use. Just because a fish in a tank has a high price does not gaurantee they want more of them.

For mail order, you could research live fish websites and auction sites, look for something that most sellers don't have. Don't pad the S&H price, buyers hate that.

Know your demand before you start, it's very easy to flood local markets with one type of fish.

I don't really have any specific fish to suggest. Back in the day, discus were the "holy grail" FW fish, but I don't know how many people keep them these days. I think the shrimp idea might be a good one. You also might also consider "ranching" live foods of some kind. Also, live plants, perhaps specialty types, may do well.
Posted via Mobile Device

redchigh 04-16-2010 05:29 PM

You're not going to find a "pricey" fish that's really easy to breed. If they are easy, they won't be pricey.

Shrimp would be a good bet... If you can get some good wild-strain endlers livebearers... they sell for a premium. (but I don't know if the store would want them)
Most web sites I come across are selling endlers trios for like 25-35 dollars if they're true.

You could try discus... but again, pet stores often refuse to carry them because they are so hard to keep.

Of course, having a fish that you can sell for 75-200 dollars, and they lay LOTS of eggs when they spawn...
Plus the parents take care of the fry (the fry eat mucus off of the parents) perhaps?

aunt kymmie 04-16-2010 07:02 PM

If you could get your hands on a pair of L46 or L98 and if you were able to successfully breed them you'd make a fortune.

TerryLee 04-16-2010 07:37 PM

How about discus fish? Those red color leopard skin usually fetch a good market price and you can actually mix and keep 3-4 in your tank.

aunt kymmie 04-16-2010 07:52 PM

Breeding discus would be a pain, IMHO. Once the slime coat is gone from the parent you have to start feeding baby brine shrimp (most breeders hatch their own) and juveniles have to be feed at least five times a day due to their incredibly fast metabolisms. It's alot of work and alot of water changes. It sounds like TheKeeperofAquaticFish is going to have this tank set up in his room. If he breeds discus he'd also have to have a brine shrimp hatchery set up in his room too. I don't think bedroom breeding of discus is going to work in this particular situation.

kelly528 04-16-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 364051)
Breeding discus would be a pain, IMHO. Once the slime coat is gone from the parent you have to start feeding baby brine shrimp (most breeders hatch their own) and juveniles have to be feed at least five times a day due to their incredibly fast metabolisms. It's alot of work and alot of water changes. It sounds like TheKeeperofAquaticFish is going to have this tank set up in his room. If he breeds discus he'd also have to have a brine shrimp hatchery set up in his room too. I don't think bedroom breeding of discus is going to work in this particular situation.

Plus if you buy a pricey pair of discus only to have them die due to water quality gone funny you are SCREWED out of a LOT of money!!! :shock:

TheKeeperofAquaticFish 04-17-2010 12:10 AM

Yeah I think the L group will be my best bet. Dont think I can afford to get my hands on the zebra's though. We currently have a fair few small L333 in the shop. What do you guys think? Or maybe Peppermints we have a few pairs.

ferszty 04-17-2010 07:08 AM

so u want easy fish to breed but u want some money out of it hmmmm maybe chry bristlenose u could get up to 100 fry in one spawn. hry to sell them to a pet shop for 2-3$ and if u get 100 fry and sell them at that price u could get up to $200 - $300 :).