Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Mail order fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/mail-order-fish-4123/)

hamdogg08 03-11-2007 04:04 PM

Mail order fish

I was wondering if anyone had experience with ordering fish online.

1)I live in Minnesoootah, and was worried about the temperature around here. It gets about -20 degrees F in the winter and about 85 in the summer.

2)Are the delivery guys going to take it easy on the fish, or would they just throw the box in the back of the truck and deliver a dead fish to my house.

3) Are the fish OK with being shipped? How long can they stay in their bags without being either really stressed out, or dead?

Sleepy 03-11-2007 05:50 PM

Re: Mail order fish

I only can tell from my own experience with Dr. Foster & Smith Liveaquaria.com. Usually you will get a notice when to be at home for this delivery. Liveaquaria has a day-to-day delivery chart. They do recommend to make arrangement with the delivery service (FedEx). This is a good solution because FedEx allowes to leave messages for the delivery as soon as you can track your package. You won´t be able to make the same arrangements with UPS.
The delivery guy from FedEx was very cautious with my deliveries. (I didn´t have the same luck with the other company I already mentioned).

Some shops do not deliver when it is too cold outside which is good. :)
You can check on the shops website. Somewhere they are describeing their delivery procedure.

I ordered in summer and the fish came very well packed into a huge styrofoam box with cooling pads between the different bags. On the carton around the styrofoam box was a huge sticker which said "alive animals".

However, ordering online is a stressful procedure for the fish but I am always thinking that the fish in other stores has the same stress already behind it and an upcoming just ahead.

lilmomma 03-12-2007 08:23 PM

Ive bought fish from aquabid.com and didnt have a problem. I got some last week (8 beautiful angelish) and they came all the way from alaska to georgia....2 day express with the USPS. They arrived healthy and the acclimation was a breeze. They are all doing great!!!

It depends on if the person you are buying from packages them well......it they were healthy when shipped and the weather is too cold. Some places just wont ship if that is the case.

It could be a bad experience or a good one. It's a good one for me because all ive got to get fish from is Pet Smart and i'll never do that again!!!

herefishy 03-12-2007 08:38 PM

Most all purchases made online require someone to take delivery of the live fish parcel. You may also set up direct pickup if you live near a distribution hub.

SporadicStaticAddict 03-12-2007 08:45 PM

Everyone I've talked to has had no problem. Sorry that's not much of a contribution. Lot's of shipping... I think she said $2.00 for each fish and $35.00 shipping.

musho3210 03-12-2007 10:07 PM

only ship fish if you have a large amount of fish you want to buy (not an excuse to stock fast) otherwise i see it as a waste of money since shipping livestock isnt cheap....

Andyandsue 03-14-2007 09:46 AM

While I wasn't planning on buying any fish on line, I posted this question a while ago. Everyone pretty much said that while they don't know of any problems, between the cost of shipping and the fact that you can't see the tank or the actual fish it's probably not the best choice.

Sorry that's all the input I have. :)

The Dude 03-14-2007 03:33 PM

I have first hand expirience with aquariumfish.net and they seem quite reputable. I got two new fish today from them actually! they have a section on how to reduce the stress put on the fish about slowly reintroducing them to light, feeding them in the bag before putting them into the aquarium and about how the tank should be rearranged if there are territorial fish so the newcomer can establish their own teritory. They shipped overnight, in a box that said live fish on it, and there was stryrofoam insulation and a small heater bag. both fish lived and seem quite happy now.

Edit: http://www.aquariumfish.net/pages/warranty.htm#top2 is a good read if you are considering ordering any fish