Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   setting up a new to me tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/setting-up-new-me-tank-4116/)

Kathy60 03-11-2007 09:07 AM

setting up a new to me tank

Hello, I recently purchased a used 55 gallon aquarium and am in the process of setting it up as a freshwater tank. It came equipped with a 350 magnum canister and a 350 penguin bio wheel. My problem is that there were no directions included. :(
I've made several trips to the petstore to ask questions and they have been extremely helpful so far. Everything seems to be working except the magnum 350. I filled the canister with water to the line, hooked up the hoses, opened the valves and plugged it in......it started running but I don't see any water moving through the hoses.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I ever get this working and get to the point where I can actually have fish I plan to post some pictures to share.
Thanks in advance,
Kathy

Sleepy 03-11-2007 12:24 PM

Hi Kathy.

I`ve never used one of those filter systems, sorry. Some filter systems have such this issue to get them working. I had similar issues with a Fluval system.

Is there any water in the hose which goes into the filter ?
If the system stands directly next to the tank instead of under the tank it won´t work.

Btw. here are the directions. 8)

Kathy60 03-11-2007 01:36 PM

Thank you! I ended up taking it all apart to make sure I had it put together correctly and rinsing it out. When I hooked it back up and turned it on it started pumping water. :lol:
I'm printing the directions you sent too, figured I might need those someday. I'm not all that good at finding information on the internet, but I sure am glad I found this site!
Next weekend my grandson and I are going to go pick out some fish for my tank. I'm thinking maybe some catfish, a couple of silver dollar fish, and some neon tetras. I don't know what else yet.
Even without the fish yet, this is so much fun I wonder why I never got involved with aquariums before.

musho3210 03-11-2007 02:17 PM

do you understand the process of cycling? Starting a tank is very fun but if all your fish died since you didnt cycle, you might leave the hobby.

Kathy60 03-11-2007 04:08 PM

no I really don't fully understand the process of cycling. Can you explain it to me? I did add some Bacteria Supplement that the guy at the store told me would help my tank cycle faster.

musho3210 03-11-2007 04:22 PM

here is a link to cycling. I have an article in the members article section on how to make it faster. You need to decide if you are doing a fishless cycle (reccomended) or fish cycle (still works)

http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=343

Kathy60 03-11-2007 04:37 PM

Ok, I read the article on cycling, I understand now why a friend at work told me to use some of the gravel from my established 5 gal tank. Sounds like it might be a few weeks longer than I had thought before we add any fish.

musho3210 03-11-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy60
Ok, I read the article on cycling, I understand now why a friend at work told me to use some of the gravel from my established 5 gal tank. Sounds like it might be a few weeks longer than I had thought before we add any fish.

i guess youve chosen the fishless, thats good to hear. With established gravel and bacteria in a bottle, it will probably take 2-3 weeks if not less

Sleepy 03-11-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy60
Thank you! I ended up taking it all apart to make sure I had it put together correctly and rinsing it out. When I hooked it back up and turned it on it started pumping water. :lol:
I'm printing the directions you sent too, figured I might need those someday. I'm not all that good at finding information on the internet, but I sure am glad I found this site!

You´re welcome, Kathy. :)

May I suggest that you do some research about the fish you want to keep in future ? It is important to know something about them. Especially how big a fish can get when it´s grown up etc. . That´s unfortunately something which is often underestimated. It is also important to know if they would get along with other fish etc. .
There are quite some simple rules which will make you a happy tank keeper with happy and healthy fish as well.

Remember always, if you´re unsure with anything, ask before you buy a fish you don´t know anything about. That´s what a forums is for and you will find a lot of information if you search in the forums. :)