Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New Large Goldish Setup Advice (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-large-goldish-setup-advice-41069/)

AAHoudiniAA 04-13-2010 07:02 AM

New Large Goldish Setup Advice

Hi everyone,

In addition to the "already too many" projects I have going, I am setting up a new 110gal Goldfish tank... (goldies are my passion, so no talking me out of them).

The only things I have to date are...

Tank 110 48"T
Lights 30" T5 HO Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant 96W 4x 6700K
Glass Covers
Fluval (New G6 Model)

I am more so looking for opinions regarding whether I can do a successful Goldfish tank with what I have... not looking to spend another King's Ransom as this is one of several expensive projects I have going. But I do want a successful environment.

And PS: I don't need to be told how many I can have :P I have experience raising and keeping goldies.

Thanks a million,

Rich

Lupin 04-13-2010 07:23 AM

Oh goody. What kind of setup are you looking for though?

AAHoudiniAA 04-13-2010 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 362247)

not quite sure what you are asking... but generally a canister type filtration setup incorporating my G6. I am looking at doing some live plants for the first time ever!

I don't have room for a HOB filter... and I don't want to get into the wet/dry sump type filter. So, canister (and this is a good one (the G6) is my option).

I got some relatively affordable lighting... as you can see from the link.

Other than than... again, not sure what you are asking Lup...

Thanks for looking!

Rich

Redcap18 04-13-2010 02:35 PM

Congrats on the setup! Hope the live plants work out for you in a goldfish tank as I've heard goldfish will mow down plants but I guess it depends on which ones you choose?

redchigh 04-13-2010 04:46 PM

Your fish will love you for planting the tank- They can't pass up an expensive salad bar! I wouldn't use live plants in the goldie tank personally, especially if it's your first time with them. If you insist, Just about your only options are Java Fern, Maybe hornwort, and I heard someone say anubias but I'm not so sure about that one. Could maybe try Acorus G... but I'm not really sure about that one either. Does anyone else think 96W x4 is too much light (even for a 110G)?

JohnnyD44 04-13-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 362247)

I was waiting for Lupin to jump in!!! hahaha good stuff

AAHoudiniAA 04-13-2010 08:24 PM

From my Blackberry..

I guess what. I am asking mainly is... "Do I have a good filtration setup with solely the Fluval G6? I am considering a wet\dry also.. But won't if the G6 is adequate. I have only 3in of clearance in back. Tabk isn't drilled... But could be. Thanks a bunch!
Posted via Mobile Device

Redcap18 04-13-2010 09:08 PM

The fluval G6, from what I read, can filter up to a 160 gallon tank and it has a lot of media space so it seems it will do a very good job on a 110 gallon goldie tank.

AAHoudiniAA 04-13-2010 09:09 PM

Lol.. I just noticed Goldfish is spelled Goldish in my thread title. :P
Posted via Mobile Device

PaperclipGirl 04-13-2010 09:12 PM

I wish I could say if that is adequate enough as it is rated for 80-160 gallons, I would say it would be. With the amount of mess that goldies create (as you well know) you might be doing filter maintenance at least monthly or more.

With my goldies - I have a 55g with a Eheim Ecco 2236 (rated for up to 80g) and I change the polishing pad monthly - and with my live plant experiments - its been every two weeks because of sludge and plant debris.
I added a HOB just because I had one that I didn't want to lose the BB, not for the extra filtration.

I can't wait to see your set up!!