Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Platy/Molly/Guppy fry growing slowly... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/platy-molly-guppy-fry-growing-slowly-40942/)

Austin 04-11-2010 10:37 PM

Platy/Molly/Guppy fry growing slowly...

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering, I should know this, but how long does it take livebearer fry to reach their full size? (I thought about 4-5 months) I have some from 2-3 months ago that are only about 1/2 an inch... It just seems like they are not growing much at all. It seem they've been the same size forever...

I have them in my 44g tank. I change the water maybe 30% a week. About 10-15 gallons. (I'd like to do 50% a day as I know this is best for growing fry, but it's just not possible since it takes me about 45 minutes to change 30% already at LEAST)

I feel them once in the morning, and once at night.

The tank is bare bottom with a ton of java moss.

Also, it seems a lot have died. I don't find bodies, but the amount I have is reducing as time goes on. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong?

I just dunno. I'm just worried their slow (maybe its not slow) growth is going to affect their health negatively. I'm not impatient for them to grow. That's not why I ask.

Thanks!

fryup 04-12-2010 09:36 AM

my fry are decreasing by the week i had 57 in total from 3 births in january febuary and march but now i have 39 ....but i have had fry in the past reach full size (bout 2inch for males and 2.5inch for female) in about 5-6 months :):):)

fryup 04-12-2010 09:45 AM

thats for guppys...:):):)

fryup 04-12-2010 09:46 AM

i have fry now that are around 1/2 inch and there 3 month old

herbwin 04-12-2010 10:04 AM

You hit on it yourself, you need to be doing massive water changes to force growth, plus many small feedings or a constant in tank supply of food.

Why does it take you so long to do water changes? You need to rethink you methods. Try larger buckets or wider siphons. You can but hose in different sizes by the foot at hardware stores very cheap, get enought to reach a door or wndow and that will save you a step too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Austin 04-12-2010 12:18 PM

Hmmmm, good idea herbwin. It takes me so long, because I can't lift even 5 gallon buckets easily. :/ I'm weak lol.

But there is a french door right beside the tank so maybe I can get a longer hose....

Filling it up is sort of time consuming as well. Any ideas how to make that go quicker?

Btw, I don't care to make them grow extremely fast. I just don't want them growing so slow/stunting their growth that it is unhealthy for them.

babydevilsangel 04-18-2010 03:09 PM

I am new to this, myself... and mostly have just read online how to care for fry, and it seemed that I should be feeding the fry about 3 times a day, maybe 4. And then everyone was saying the same thing for the fry as we say for the adult fish: to only feed the fry as much as they can consume in 2-3 minutes.

My first experience with fry was just a month ago. There were 23 of them and I fed 4 times a day, just enough for them to eat it all in 3 minutes. I had 2 or 3 fry die each day. Sometimes they were just missing, and sometimes I had to net them out. I also noticed that the majority of them were getting the s-shaped body, and later read that that may happen due to malnutrition... either not a good quality food, or not being fed enough food.

So! This month I had 4 fry from one mom (Mom had them in the main tank, and I only found 4) and 44 fry from another one.

I feed them 5-6 times a day. They are oinkers. And I've seen a big difference in their growth rate already, compared to the last go at it. The 4 that are 2 1/2 weeks old are already very close to 1/2 an inch. And the others aren't far behind.

Also, no s-shape to them whatsoever.

I personally think they need to eat more and more often than what some suggest, but you do have to clean out more often as well.

Maybe you can just siphon up the bottom of the tank daily, to pick up the obvious residue, and see if that makes a difference as well?

La Reina 04-18-2010 10:06 PM

Maybe try some higher quality food. You can buy frozen brine shrim cubes, thaw some out and dice up the shrimps as small as you can and feed that before a water change because it'll be messy. I've never had fry, but the food varitation can't hurt. :-)

Austin 04-20-2010 01:16 PM

Maybe I will set up my brine shrimp hatchery again. It's not too hard but can never get enough shrimp.

None of my fish have the s shaped body. Maybe ONE guppy, he has a bend in his body which is odd. I thought maybe that was a fluke since he's the only one out of all my fish with it.

I am going to try to change the water every 3-4 days now. I can't do it daily. Even with siphoning straight outside, to fill up the tank it takes me way too long. I want to be careful and not blow the fish away. It is also a PAIN siphoning cus the baby fish always get in the way and it's hard not to suck them up...

Some babies are from january 31st and they are larger than when they were born, but still small enough I can add new fish and have no problems with them trying to eat them (after 3 months shouldnt they be near full grown!?) :( Been trying to feed them more food, about 3 times a day now. We'll see how it goes, thanks guys.. :)

Is it possible to permanently stunt fry's growth? Or do some just grow very slow?

La Reina 04-20-2010 08:12 PM

I'd think it's possible, kids who are really poorly fed don't seem to grow to their full height, so fish are probably like that too.

You could likely sell the fish as feeders...?