Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Which is a better aquarium Deal? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/better-aquarium-deal-40938/)

Diaphany 04-11-2010 09:54 PM

Which is a better aquarium Deal?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi,
This is my first time buying a tank and I'm not sure which of the bottom options are the "best bang for your buck." I've wrote the name of the tank/it's price in front and what they include.
1)Aare the first two options really good deals already?
2) Suggestions please? Which is best? It would be great if you explained why too. Thanks in advance. :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) $53-Tetra Half Moon Tank Kit includes:
-seamless, curved glass 10-gallon aquarium with a flat back. Gives a nice 180 degree view
-New Energy-Star rated LED lighting - 24 bulb system offers beautiful light reflection.
-Comes complete with Tetra's proven WhisperŽ filtration
-heater.
-$20 worth of coupons

2)$40-Aqueon 10 Gallon Basic Fish Tank Includes:
-Glass Aquarium with Black Trim
-QuietFlow™ Power Filter
-Filter Cartridge
-Deluxe Fluorescent Hood
-Fluorescent Bulb
-2 Incandescent Bulbs
-Aquarium Set-up and Care Guide
-Water Conditioner
-Premium Fish Food

3) Make my own Fish tank kit:
-$13 10-gallon tank
-a really good filter(not sure which one yet...open to recommedations)
- I already have fish net, food, and water conditioner.

herbwin 04-11-2010 10:07 PM

I think the real choice is if you want the curved glass or not.

I think, IF the coupons are ones you will use for sure, the Tetra set would be a better deal.

Light/hoods can be expensive by themselves.

I would consider checking your classifieds/Craiglist for used tank setups too, you might find a larger tank for the same price or cheaper. If it has the works, you could save money, even if you have to replace the aquarium itself.
Posted via Mobile Device

rsn48 04-12-2010 12:59 AM

I second purchasing used, you can get some very good prices, over 2/3rd's off the new price and get a larger tank to boot. See if you can get a used 20 or 29, these are both also popular sizes. Also check local discount used places like Sally Anne and Value Village. I've bought a 10 gallon set up with just about everything for $15, including heater, filter and other "stuff." The 10 gallon is a handy quarantine tank size which is how I will use mine.

karjean 04-12-2010 09:01 PM

Thanks for te tip at Sally Anne and Value Village.

karjean 04-12-2010 09:05 PM

Sorry Diaphany, welcome to the forum. We did get my daughter's a 10 Gallons Basic Starter Kit from the LFS. I cannot comment on the half moon aquarium but happy with the straight rectangular one.

rsn48 04-13-2010 12:22 AM

When you are checking Sally Anne and Value Village type places, don't just check once but drop in about once every two weeks. I've been to a Sally Anne when it has had multiple aquarium packages, then for a while nothing. Persistence pays.

Also join your local tropical fish club, almost all have auctions where you can acquire items very cheaply. Here is a guy locally who is flogging some of his gear that he didn't sell at our local club auction, this will illustrate about looking around for used stuff locally:

http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35419

I'm not sure if this link will show for you as it is closed to non-registered users, but it about a 33 gallon aquarium -

• 33 gallon tank (I think. I haven't measured it yet, but it seems to be 3 feet.)
    canopy with light bulb and glass protector
    ornate metal stand for tank
    dynaflow 2 hob filter
    plastic, removeable tank divider
    assorted ornaments: shipwreck, diver, no fishing sign
    air pump

Price reduced to $65 for the entire setup.

iamntbatman 04-13-2010 12:48 AM

The curved tank seems like a better deal to me, mostly because it's only $13 more but includes a heater which would probably be around $15. Then again, I'm not really a big fan of the curved glass (it tends to distort the fish) so I'd say it's largely a matter of preference.

That said, you can definitely get some really good deals by looking for used stuff. I've purchased most of my tanks used.

willow 04-13-2010 06:48 AM

just chiming in on the curved glass issue.
i've got a bow fronted tank,and i wish i didn't,it distorts,and makes one
feel really quite disoriented(sp)at times.

Diaphany 04-13-2010 11:16 PM

WoW..thanks everybody. I'm glad I came to this forum to get some feedback. I originally was looking for tanks online until came upon a "doorbuster deal" and a "clearance" tank. I was really indecisive and bought both to compare since it's really hard to determine the quality of the tank and what stuff the kit includes inside a box. I was about to keep both. But, after reading the replies, I want to return both tanks and go back to looking online for a cheaper tank. Once again, thanks.

willow 04-14-2010 10:01 AM

good luck,please let us know how you get on. :)