Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Beginner Needing Advice (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/beginner-needing-advice-40838/)

NC1875 04-10-2010 05:54 AM

Beginner Needing Advice

Hi there,

I'm finding your forum really helpful - especially all the information regarding cycling, setting up etc - so thanks!

I've just been given a Fluval Roma 90 litre (23 US Gallon) tank and am wondering if anyone can give me advice on a fish community and plants? I seem to be getting conflicting advice about what fish can go with what from all the books I have looked at and the sales folk I have spoken to.

I know I need a good mix of bottom, top, and middle feeders but am struggling a bit to know what to get.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

tanker 04-10-2010 09:08 AM

Yes, I know what you mean. I'm setting up new tanks and it can get very confusing because there is so much conflicting information on the internet.

The first thing I suggest is that you find out what sort of water comes out of your tap - how hard it is and what the pH is. I discovered that my water is naturally hard and alkaline, so I then looked for fish which did well, or didn't mind, those conditions. The ones that want soft, acidic conditions were immediately crossed off my list of possibilities.

Have you seen any fish that you like the look of? If you can pick out the ones that take your fancy, then look up to see what conditions they need, it gives a starting point and eliminates a lot that aren't suitable.

There were some good suggestions in my thread asking about stocking my 35-litre tank (I ended up getting a 75-litre as well, which isn't that much smaller than yours - some of the suggestions given for my 75-litre might suit your tank and might be something you'd like to have).

For bottom feeders, I've decided that I definitely want corydoras catfish. I love them. There are several varieties to choose from, some are hardier than others. I'd definitely recommend having a look at them to see if you like them. (You need to wait until your tank is well established before getting any of those if you wanted them, they like the tank to be well established and don't like changes in water quality that might happen when the tank is getting its equilibrium.)

I've got platies in my bigger tank and guppies in my smaller tank. Both are easy to look after, colourful and active. I like them. In my bigger tank, I've also got a small school (6) of pristella tetras. So, one possibility could be platies, tetras (there are lots of varieties and you might be able to have 2 schools in your bigger tank) and corydoras. But you'll have heaps of other options.

From what I've read, gouramis are top dwellers. You might want to look at the dwarf gouramis to see if you are interested in them.

Once you get some ideas, the knowledgeable people here can tell you if what you'd like will work.

Byron 04-10-2010 11:37 AM

Tanker is correct, your tap water parameters should be your guide as to they type of fish. You should have a read of the sticky article by iamntbatman on stocking at the head of this section, here is a direct link:

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...tocking-38626/

NC1875 04-10-2010 03:04 PM

Thanks Tanker and Byron,

I live in a soft water area so I'll have a look at the other threads and see what I come up with.

redchigh 04-10-2010 04:41 PM

many tetras/characins that stay relatively small (under 2 inches) would do well.

Byron 04-11-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC1875 (Post 360687)
Thanks Tanker and Byron,

I live in a soft water area so I'll have a look at the other threads and see what I come up with.

You are lucky; there are many members who have water so hard out of their taps who would love to have the options available to you with soft water (as I have too).

Any of the fish from South America, SE Asia or West Central Africa are possible with soft slightly acidic water, and this amounts to hundreds of species. Have a look through our fish profiles section (second link from the left in the blue bar across the top of the page). There are suggestions for other suitable tankmates for most species, in addition to water parameter guides, behaviour guides, etc.

Byron.