Tropical Fish Keeping banner

how to identify males & females

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  dipudivakar 
#1 ·
hai everyone
i am new to TFK and ofcourse new to fish keeping hobby.my tank has a capacity of almost 75 gallons. its actually cylidrical in shape. having 122 cm diameter and 40 cm height.but water is filled only upto 25-28 cm.
i have 13 carps(including 3 blue gold), 2 pairs of guppy,3 Angels, 2 pairs of black molly,1 pair of white molly and platy, dalmation molly 1 pair. i am maintaining 4 buckets of 10-20 liters for keeping breeding pairs and their frys. right now i have almost 20 nos of black molly fry and almost 10 nos guppy fry.
i would like to know how to identify males & females of
1) black & white mollys
2) Angels
3) golden carps
can anyone pls helps

#2 ·
For identifying the mollys, look at the anal fin. If it is long and pointed (gonopodium) it would be male, if its rounded, almost pear shaped, that would be female. (just like with guppys, swordtails, platys, etc)

With angels, they can be almost impossible to sex until they begin to spawn. Again, at the anal opening, the female will have an ovapositor which is larger and more oval in shape, the male tube is much smaller and rounder in shape.

As for the carp... their sexual organs are internal, so the only way to know is when they spawn or with dissection.

#6 ·
Look up a picture of Cyprinus carpio carpio and them look up a picture of 'common goldfish'.

It strikes me funny that an aquarium store would sell Cyprinus carpio carpio as they are very plain and can grow in excess of 40 inches.

Both species will SEVERELY overstock your tank, not to mention prey on your other fish when they reach full size and if you have either it would be best to get rid of them.

Basically any carp other than a fancy goldfish in aquaria is bad news.

#7 ·
i dont know its exact name. infact i am also planning to resale that. my local store owner has promised to buy back when its grown at least 10". initially i bought them because i hav a big tank ( its not a glass aquarium) which can store upto 300-400 litres, though i stored only 150- 200 litres now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.