Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What should I stock with my betta fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-should-i-stock-my-betta-407658/)

MissBec 06-06-2014 08:04 PM

What should I stock with my betta fish?

I have female betta her bane is brownie she is really friendly, I want to make community tank I currently have 10 neon tetra housed with her at the moment and she gets along with them well, what else can I stock in my fish tank that's has silmar water levels and temp?

I have 120 litre tank :)

Sylverclaws 06-06-2014 09:42 PM

That's roughly 20 gallons. You'd be considered fully stocked, tad over maybe since one normally doesn't put more than 6 neons in a twenty gal.

You could try some bottom dwellers, I'd suggest going for something with a really low bioload like kuhli loaches, but only if you have sand substrate. Really the only thing I can think of aside from snails. You can try shrimp like ghosts, cherries, amanos or crystals, however they may get eaten by your betta, it depends on her. =) But I wouldn't suggest anymore fish.

MissBec 06-07-2014 12:40 AM

really? my tank is about 31 gallons how can that be over stocked?
its recommended to have a group of neon tetra of 6 or more?

Sylverclaws 06-07-2014 01:11 AM

Herpderp, duh me! It is 31. I did that wrong, I'm sorry! LOL Nah you're fine with that and not over-stocked. Not sure how I messed that one up. x.x

Still, I would go with bottom dwellers and no more top/mid level swimmers since neons are active and like some space and you don't want to over burden your sweet betta, that can make them less sweet, yes even females.

If you have sand substrate or smooth, rounded rocks, kuhli loaches(eight to ten) or cories(6-8) would be a good option. Both are peaceful creatures that will get along with what you have and wont cause any issues, unless your betta picks on them. If she's real sweet and doesn't pester it'll be fine, those are peaceful and delicate fish who get on with whoever gets along with them. =)

You could do other fish if you want, but I personally wouldn't. That's me though. Peaceful tetras and rasboras that don't get too large would be ok. I think Harlequin Rasboras are of the more peaceful kind and I've heard of many who have them with betta. Cardinal tetras are peaceful, more so than neons though they look alike(they're a bit bigger than neons and their stripes go all the way instead of half way, they are otherwise identical).

aussieJJDude 06-07-2014 05:38 AM

I would look into getting some kulhis to the tank, I have 3 and badly want to upgrade the shoal! They are a blast and recommend them to anyone!

MissBec 06-07-2014 05:32 PM

Thanks, lol for second I was was worried about being over stock, I kinda have smooth gravel I'm not sure if I am fan of kuhli loaches they kinda remind me of snakes is there any more type of bottom dwellers you can recommend?
Posted via Mobile Device

Sylverclaws 06-07-2014 06:01 PM

Small plecos, like Bristlenose plecos(the long-finned calicos are lovely). One or two for those. They get about six inches.

Bulldog plecos(best known as rubberlip plecos), they stay around three inches, you can keep them in multiples, but males can bother the other males and may get aggressive. I had a male with two females and didn't have trouble at all.

Any small plecos that stay under six inches.

Cories...they need sand or smooth substrate because they like to sift, and though armored have delicate bellies and like to blast up for air and fall back down. Kept on gravel they often damage their belles and eventually it erodes their barbels and kills them. Same with loaches.

Nick1404 06-08-2014 05:52 AM

I like long fin brisolnose plecs. I have two and they are amazing to watch. Also maybe just some scissor tails or basmani rainbow fish. They look really plain to start with but when they get bigger look beautiful.
Posted via Mobile Device

aussieJJDude 06-09-2014 05:56 AM

Nick1404, I wouldn't recommend scissortails or rainbow fish in a 31g tank, they do better in a 55/75g in my opinion! They quite active fishes and need a large school to be happy!

jaysee 06-09-2014 08:36 AM

What should I stock with my betta fish?

I agree about the scissor tails and large rainbows - at least a 4 foot tank.

Regarding Corys - there are a lot of people who keep Corys with gravel with no issues whatsoever. Same with loaches. There are also people who get erosion keeping them with sand. All gravels are not the same - some are quite smooth, some are not. Same goes for sand. Having said all that, I do agree that it's best to keep them with sand, but it's not fair to say that they will die if kept with gravel.