Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New 28G Freshwater w/ Kitty Litter & Play Sand (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-28g-freshwater-w-kitty-litter-40756/)

Tinthalas Tigris 04-08-2010 10:00 PM

New 28G Freshwater w/ Kitty Litter & Play Sand

Segue: I found an amazing deal of a 28gallon Bow-front WITH stand for 50 bux. GO CRAIGSLIST. Not only that, the lady had over $100 of fish chemicals and fish food. she threw in as well. WOAH. There was at least another $50 worth of ornaments that she threw in.

So, enough with the bragging, I made a mistake.. (drat).

I forgot to rinse the kitty litter and play sand before putting it into the tank. I do this all the time, I get really excited about things and I skip steps. Its my nature, and I always do it.

Will this eventually settle on its own? My brother-in-law suggested I swirl the bottom up as much as I can (effectively rinsing it) and then draining it, and starting again.

I'm not really into this idea, but if it is the best Idea, I will do it.

I'd just like to know if unrinsed playsand and kitty litter will settle on its own. Right now its cloudy.

mollies 04-09-2010 02:07 AM

I would get rid of the sand and kitty litter. Drain the tank. then just go with play sand.
unless there a reason for kitty litter.
and im not sure but isnt there some kind of chemicals in the kitty litter that could kill your fish you put in the tank?

Tinthalas Tigris 04-09-2010 02:26 AM

I chose kitty litter because after much reading, I learned that it is made of the most basic of clays. Clay, of which plants in planted aquariums thrive.

After even more reading, I learned that generic kitty litter makes a very common substrate for those "in the know" with it.

The generic store brand kitty litter ingredients are "Laterite Clay" and that is it. It cost me 1.29.

I love live planted aquariums, and known my aquarium only as such.

I had never implimented the concept before, and with this new tank I have, I decided to give it ago.

I've decided to do several water changes over the course of the next week. The first water change received a 50% clear up in water cloudiness from the dust/dirt.

I think I'm going to pursue this course, and continue on with the water changes until its no longer cloudy.

iamntbatman 04-09-2010 03:50 AM

Yep, lots of water changes are the way to go.

karjean 04-09-2010 04:56 AM

Let us know how the progress comes, keep on doing the water changes until it clears up.

trukgirl 04-26-2010 01:50 PM

I can't wait to see how this works for you! Keep us posted... :)

I 2nd the water changes

For the record... I got my 55g off Craigslist too... $100 for the tank, stand, filters, hoods, lights, heater, backup battery, some rock & a cpl deco's!! GO CRAIGSLIST for sure!!!!!! :D