Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Fish acting very lethargic need help!

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  henningc 
#1 ·
Hello to all. New to this whole forum thing and i was hoping to get some help. I've been keeping fish for quite a long time but have never encountered this problem before. I have a 10 gallon grow out tank for a 2.5 inch electric blue jack dempsey, a 2 inch geophaegus surinimis (probably not spelled right), and a 3 inch columbian shark. I have a 65 gallon tank that i was hoping to move them to but now i dont know what to do because they've been acting so strange. The catfish is fine but both the ebjd and the geophaegus have been staying on the bottom of the tank and not moving much. I first noticed it 2 nights ago and the water paremeters were fine when i checked them today and yesterday (0 nitrite/ammonia, trace nitrate and 6.5 pH, temp around 78). The tank is a few months old and is fully cycled. Both fish are normally very active and swim along the front of the tank when i enter the room because there expecting to get fed but now they just stay on the bottom of the tank. I fed them a bit just to see if i could get them to move and they seemed to go back to normal for one minute then the next minute there back on the bottom of the tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

#2 ·
Sounds like the p.h. is a little low for the fish being held. The over arching problem is the size of the tank. Those fish are just too large and too active for a 10gal under any circumstances. It is obvious that the fish are stressed for some reason, could be a room light, too much traffic, an a.c. vent blowing too close or some other thing. My advise, get a 20H or better yet a 20L as a holding tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.