Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   HELP! Problem with guppies! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/help-problem-guppies-40609/)

ecuash1 04-06-2010 05:21 PM

HELP! Problem with guppies!

I have a 29 gallon tank with a bunch of live plants in it. I also have about 5 male guppies and 7 females and probably about 40 new fry. Two weeks ago, I got 3 of the females and 1 of the males from a local guppy enthusiast like myself. A week before that I got 2 females from Petco. My other guppies before them were from Petco about a month prior to all of the others. Two weeks ago, the one female from Petco started getting a white band around her midsection (only a couple days after I got her) that started looking like raised scales and she died a couple days later. None of the other fish had any of these problems including the other female I got from Petco. I took a water sample to Petco and they said my levels were all just fine, my ph was like 7.8 or something like that and I think they said my nitrates were fine but on the high side of fine. I didn't buy a test kit because they are really expensive, but Im thinking I may need to get one. Anyway, it is about 1.5 weeks from that one fish with the white band dying. Since, I have added some java moss and a java fern to the tank. I clean the tank once a week with a 10% water change and add stress zyme for the bacterial cycle and removal of cloramines and clorine. I also added a bubble wand in the tank. In the past 3 days, the algae on the tank walls started growing fast and now the new females and the one male from the other local guppy enthusiast all have that white band around their midsection and they don't look well. I added a dose of ich treatment today. I will do a 10% water change in the morning and add another ich treatment. None of my other fish have this white band. What is this?? I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose all the new fish and am worried I'm going to lose all of them. What can I do?? Does anyone know what that white band is? There are no puffy spots or cloudy sugary spots on the fish. Please help!

bettalover2033 04-06-2010 08:37 PM

honestly i do not know the care of guppies im sorry and i hope you figure what ou ned out thats how my betta sorority died im sorry...someone help!!!!

ecuash1 04-07-2010 02:10 PM

So I think the problem is dropsy. I went to Petco so they could test the water and they said the tank had high nitrites which is caused by a dead fish. I found a dead female in there this morning and took her out immediately. Then I scooped some water out for it to be tested, then did a 10% water change. The Petco person said that changing the water should take care of the nitrite problem, but that seems hard to believe. I have a chemical that says it neutralizes ammonia and nitrites so I put some of that in plus the Pimafix I bought today. I hope I'm not putting too many chemicals in the tank! Does anyone know if Pimafix treats dropsy? The bottle says it treats fungus... but its a general fungus treatment....

fryup 04-07-2010 02:55 PM

ye i agree...that its dropsy ...sometimes called the pine cone disease because the scales stand on end it can be cured but unfortunatly your females died ....i dont think it can be passes on i think its just "in" the fish but other will correct if im wrong :):):0...sorry to hear that and good luck with your new fry :)

ecuash1 04-13-2010 08:27 AM

So I lost almost all of my fish due to this dropsy or fungus. I treated with Pimafix and it seems to have prevented the already healthy fish from catching it, but those that already had it before I started treating, died. I am left with 3 females and 3 males... hopefully the males wont "run" the females to death! I'm not buying anymore fish. The 2 cory cats are fine too although they don't do much. I also have about 40 fry in the tank!! The last female that died gave birth to a few as she was dying which was sad, but she left a legacy. I actually saw one of the fry coming out. Some had big underbellies for some reason and I doubt they will last long. I am on the last day of the Pimafix treatment and all the remaining fish look happy and healthy. Even the water looks clearer than it did when this whole mess started. Glad its over!!

Oldfishlady 04-13-2010 10:49 AM

With your bioload I would increase your water changes to 50% weekly with a good gravel vacuum in all the areas without plants. This will also help with the growth and development of the fry as well as their health.

Do you have the numbers for the water pram test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and what is the water temp.

I would also QT any new fish for at least 4-5 weeks before putting them in the main tank

Dropsy is a symptom and most common cause is from poor water quality and long term aquarium salt use

fryup 04-13-2010 11:34 AM

i agree again with the last post :):):0....with that info we could tell you how to control your problem :):):)

ecuash1 04-13-2010 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldfishlady (Post 362301)
With your bioload I would increase your water changes to 50% weekly with a good gravel vacuum in all the areas without plants. This will also help with the growth and development of the fry as well as their health.

Do you have the numbers for the water pram test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and what is the water temp.

I would also QT any new fish for at least 4-5 weeks before putting them in the main tank

Dropsy is a symptom and most common cause is from poor water quality and long term aquarium salt use

I have 29 gal tank with 6 adult guppies and 2 corydoras and about 40 fry all less than 3 weeks old except for 2 that are 1 month old. 9 good sized live plants... I read in another post that you're only supposed to vacuum the gravel once every 2-4 weeks because it upsets the bacterial cycle. I thought that was contributing to my problem. When I clean the tank weekly since reading that, I have been skimming over the gravel and not disturbing it so the poo and food waste would get sucked up. I was doing only a 10% water change but plan on doing a 25% water change tomorrow. I dont have the space for 14 jugs of water to sit and get to the right temp.... I have 6 gallon jugs waiting for tomorrow which would mean about a 25% water change. What if I did two 25% water changes a week? Or would that stress the fish out too much? When I took the water in last week to get tested it was right when all the dying was happening so they said my nitrites were high so I did a 25% water change then and started the Pimafix treatment. The ph, ammonia, and nitrate levels were all fine.. temp is always between 76-78 degrees F. I have a bottle of solution that neutralizes ammonia and nitrites so I also used that when I did the water change and each time a fish died (since nitrites happen after deaths apparently). I don't use aquarium salt in this tank. I used to in a previous tank, but I felt that it might have been a waste of time and I didnt want to put the money into buying special aquarium salt. What if I used table salt? Not sure if the Iodine in it is bad for fish... I wont be adding any more fish for a long time if ever. With as many fry there are, I don't think I'll need to.

Oldfishlady 04-13-2010 05:06 PM

I don't recommend long term aquarium salt with most species of fish, it can cause other problems related to overall health and long term use and wrong dosage can create resistant pathogens/parasites, and some species are really sensitive to long term salt like cory cats.

On the water changes...can you not use your water from the tap with a python or hose of some type.....that seems like a lot of work, but I know some people in some locations have water restriction, location of taps etc...that can make water changes more of a challenge...

Vacuuming will not upset the nitrogen cycle and vacuuming will help keep the nitrates under control, most of the NB are in the filter media and this is where a mini cycle can happen when you change out the filter media or kill it by over cleaning it with chlorinated water, best to give the filter media a swish in old tank water with a water change to get the larger gunk off but only when the water flow has slowed, you want the filter media to look dirty but still have good water flow.
Nitrifying bacteria (NB) are sticking and adhere to everything in the tank like the walls, decorations, plants both real and fake, in the top layer of the substrate and most are in the filter media itself so water changes will not up set the cycle but you don't want to vacuum anymore that once every 7 days.

Knowing your water pram numbers can be helpful "Fine" or "normal" can mean anything, you want your ammonia and nitrite to be 0ppm and the nitrate to be 5-10ppm....high nitrate can cause problems too by affecting the immune response, sudden changes in nitrate just like in pH can shock and even kill fish and often a large water change in a high nitrate tank will be blamed for killing fish when it was a sudden nitrate drop, so it is important to know that number before making water changes, this can help a hobbyist know how much water to remove and vacuuming can be safely made in a poorly maintained tank and this can also be a factor in death in new fish that went from a low nitrate to high nitrate tank and then the new fish that just died will cause health issues with the old fish due to their compromised immunity from living in high nitrates.
Active plant growth can help these issues too, you have 9 plants and depending on what type they are and if actively growing can be helpful in the overall health of the water.
What kind of plants do you have and would love to see pic of your set up.....

redchigh 04-13-2010 05:16 PM

Also, some believe dropsy is caused by internal parasites. The ich remedy probably helped more than the pimafix. I use 1gal jugs and 5Gallon buckets to change my water :p