Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Baby tears Epic Fail T_T

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Byron 
#1 ·
So i have a small 10 gallon tank with black sand flourite with baby tears, micro sword, and mint creeping charlie. THe tank lights are two 15 watt compact floruecents/ soft white. The microsword is ruling the tank, mint creepng charlie is growing moderately but the baby tears is browning. Its a fairly new tank (about maybe 6 months old) and has 2 platys and one guppy along with 2 cherrys and 2 amanos and X malaysian trumpet snails. I used to have add seachem florusih and excel but i stopped about 2 weeks ago.

i think maybe i need to add seachem florusih to it? but wouldnt the floruite be enough nutrition for all the plants in the tank?

Thanks a bunch ^_^

#2 ·
Bacopa monnieri (Baby Tears) is a stem plant and thus a fast growing plant, which means it will require a good steady supply of nutrients. It is deemed a bright light plant, but Hiscock says in lower light it will just grow taller with wider spaces between leaves. So your light is not likely the problem, which leaves us with nutrients.

As I have frequently noted in posts, stem plants assimilate nutrients via their roots but also through the leaves. Without sufficient nutrients in the water, they usually do not do well. I would use Flourish Comprehensive weekly. You don't indicate when the browning began, was it when you stopped Flourish? And how much had you been dosing, once or twice weekly? If this plant was OK then, go back to that schedule.

By the way, I am not an advocate of Excel. It is a carbon supplement, and there is (surprisingly) a lot of carbon via CO2 in an aquarium, from the fish, plants and the bacteria; and depending upon the hardness of the water, there may be carbon as bicarbonates which some plants can easily assimilate. I would not continue Excel, just Flourish Comprehensive; you should see a change in about 2 weeks. If you were/are dosing Flourish once weekly and this plant does not improve, use it twice, provided only the recommended amount.

#3 ·
Bacopa monnieri (Baby Tears) is a stem plant and thus a fast growing plant, which means it will require a good steady supply of nutrients. It is deemed a bright light plant, but Hiscock says in lower light it will just grow taller with wider spaces between leaves. So your light is not likely the problem, which leaves us with nutrients.

As I have frequently noted in posts, stem plants assimilate nutrients via their roots but also through the leaves. Without sufficient nutrients in the water, they usually do not do well. I would use Flourish Comprehensive weekly. You don't indicate when the browning began, was it when you stopped Flourish? And how much had you been dosing, once or twice weekly? If this plant was OK then, go back to that schedule.

By the way, I am not an advocate of Excel. It is a carbon supplement, and there is (surprisingly) a lot of carbon via CO2 in an aquarium, from the fish, plants and the bacteria; and depending upon the hardness of the water, there may be carbon as bicarbonates which some plants can easily assimilate. I would not continue Excel, just Flourish Comprehensive; you should see a change in about 2 weeks. If you were/are dosing Flourish once weekly and this plant does not improve, use it twice, provided only the recommended amount.

it was browning but not as much. I was only putting about 3 drops each week cause i speculated the flourite was enough. The bottle says about 8 drops per 10 gallon. So should i do 8 drops? and no i dont use excel anymore. You made an excellent post on one of my other threads that was very informative about excel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.