Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ponds and Waterfalls (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/)
-   -   pond building, the main event (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ponds-waterfalls/pond-building-main-event-40581/)

beetlebz 04-06-2010 09:48 AM

pond building, the main event

Sooo im putting a new walk way infront of my parents house this year, and ive decided on adding a pond feature to broaden my fish addiction.

the problem im having, is there is a billion sources on the internet for pond building and maint. info, and almost all of it is contradictory to the next site. Does anyone have one good trusted resource they use for designing and maintaining new england koi ponds?

aunt kymmie 04-06-2010 10:38 AM

I don't have the info you are looking for, just popping in to request that you do a build thread once you start this project. It sounds fun! Do you know how many gallons of a pond you are going to build?

Angel079 04-07-2010 05:48 AM

Not totally sure what you wanna built there calling ti "new England".
I can tell ya what happened with ours: Select a spot that naturally has water run/puddle up in 1 area, then get a backhoe out and get digging (Ours is about 40 to 35ft by about 25ft across) make sure for your area its PLENTY deep enough so that when the top freezes int he winter you'll still have plenty room left for the fish under the ice. Then either liner it to waterproof it or use clay like we did.

One word of advise I can give you as this is what I am just now yesterday/ today am working on:
Construct a proper overflow drain from the start, meaning something that will handle the day to day extra water to run off and out of your way and also consider large long rains and the extra water you'll have then. Ours works great for the normal day-to day matter but once it rains real heavy I have a great mess there (hence the reason I'm working on it now).

Hope this helps a lil.

LisaC144 04-07-2010 10:04 AM

Wait a second. Natalie, you have a pond as well? Why haven't we seen pictures?!?!?

Angel079 04-07-2010 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaC144 (Post 358788)
Wait a second. Natalie, you have a pond as well? Why haven't we seen pictures?!?!?

Well for starters we only looked at the house/property the 2-3rd time before we ourselves realized it. Its really nothing worth taking pictures of its all natural with Blackberry shrubs around its sides & trees and just a LARGE water whole with a TON frogs :lol: at least I *think* there's no fish in it but who knows lol

LisaC144 04-07-2010 10:18 AM

Sounds pretty. I'd love to sit outside at night and listen to all the frogs churp :-)

aunt kymmie 04-07-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 358796)
Well for starters we only looked at the house/property the 2-3rd time before we ourselves realized it. Its really nothing worth taking pictures of its all natural with Blackberry shrubs around its sides & trees and just a LARGE water whole with a TON frogs :lol: at least I *think* there's no fish in it but who knows lol

Not worth it? Post a pic and let us decide! I know Lisa agrees with me on this! :lol:

LisaC144 04-07-2010 01:46 PM

Yup. Agreed! You've opened up a whole new can of worms telling us you have a POND! I wanna see where I'd like to sit outside and hear the frogs croak!

beetlebz 04-08-2010 06:12 PM

I will absolutely do a build thread when i get started over the summer. the project is going to include a walk way and a long retaining wall that the walk way will be on top of. sadly it wont be a very big pond :( maybe only a couple hundred gallons at most, but we will see. If I use ALL of the available space for water it will be maybe 5' wide and 10 feet long, half moonish shape. I want to do a big one in the yard but drainage, and running power out there are headaches I dont need to deal with if I have the pond right out front.

not to mention.. the gutter downspout is only a couple feet away, so im going to channel that into the pond as well, the overflow will be easily handled the same way the rain water is now. HOPEFULLY that will limit (i doubt eliminate) the need to top off the pond with hose water. And like i said, the power for the filter is only a couple feet away, Im considering hiding a chamber under the walk way to house the DIY filter.

the PROBLEM is going to be A) shielding it from direct sunlight, and of course B) is the limited stocking :(

Angel079 04-08-2010 07:37 PM

Running underground power below your freeze line hidden in some PVC is simple enough; that's what we did for the pool. Drainage I can only say 1) Get you a level you can attach to a string 2) a backhoe and get digging downhill like I am right now the past days creating a new drain here that's more 'steps' layered with rocks etc in the end, something more pretty then just a water run off.

Are you gonna use liner or clay for inside to seal it off?

Why sunlight? I mean yea you can plant large trees around it (if you have the cash for large mature trees) but ours sits smack center of 24/7 sunlight it only gets "shade" about 1 hrs before sunset when the sun is far enough behind the hills and that's it. But ours is also run naturally filled by spring water no power nadda just a natural pond that apparently takes well care of itself cause even in the heat of last summer I never seen algae develop in it.