Tropical Fish Keeping banner

This just irritated me...

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Castro235 
#1 ·
So my wife was totally talking to an old friend of her's from college. He is one of those I know a lot about stuff, but doesn't really know anything...

Well this guy lol, just irritated me and I wanted to go off on him.

He bought 4+ goldfish, not the Comet Goldfish, but the larger species. Stuck them all in a ONE gallon tank.

He asked my wife if I have a 2.5 gal tank for sale... I found out why he wanted one... I said no, he needs 10gal or bigger.

I had to explain why ... but he didn't get it... and still is looking for a 2.5 gal tank.

He is wanting them all in the same tank... and it can't be larger than 2.5 gal because "he doesn't have space".

Why can't people ask before they go buy... is it really that hard?

Honestly I don't know everything so I ask because collectively you all have a lot of knowledge and I can't match it to any degree. Some people just don't make sense to me... sigh.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't own goldfish, but I'm aware they are insane poopers. Insane poopers. So the ammonia will build up quite fast, wouldn't it... unless he's willing to do plenty of water changes daily, I'm expecting some deaths right around...now. But then, they're quite hardy...hopefully he will not use the "well they're alive and swimming, aren't they?" tactic. But, how do they PHYSICALLY fit?

I wish I read that wrong. I thought you said he stuck it into one tank. Wish I hadn't read the "gallon" part.

#3 ·
Actually, comets are some of the biggest goldfish and can grow two feet long. But yes, even the smallest varieties can't be kept in anything near that small. Some will say a 29g is enough for a single fancy goldfish while others say you need something even bigger than that. Big fish, demanding for oxygen content and big waste producers.

Unfortunately, because fish themselves (especially "feeder" goldfish) are so inexpensive and because they're not all cuddly, people don't want to spend enough money to take care of them properly and/or don't care enough to do so.

#4 ·
So my wife was totally talking to an old friend of her's from college. He is one of those I know a lot about stuff, but doesn't really know anything...

Well this guy lol, just irritated me and I wanted to go off on him.

He bought 4+ goldfish, not the Comet Goldfish, but the larger species. Stuck them all in a ONE gallon tank.

He asked my wife if I have a 2.5 gal tank for sale... I found out why he wanted one... I said no, he needs 10gal or bigger.

I had to explain why ... but he didn't get it... and still is looking for a 2.5 gal tank.

He is wanting them all in the same tank... and it can't be larger than 2.5 gal because "he doesn't have space".

Why can't people ask before they go buy... is it really that hard?

Honestly I don't know everything so I ask because collectively you all have a lot of knowledge and I can't match it to any degree. Some people just don't make sense to me... sigh.
You could tell this fellow that his goldfish are members of the NFL (Not for long) club.

#5 ·
I read this thread earlier today and then I went out. As I was going to my car, I happened to look at the box for my 35-litre aquarium (the box is sitting in the garage waiting to be put in the rubbish bin). One picture shows 3 angel fish 2 clown loaches and 2 other fish I don't recognize (they look like loaches to me), the other side of the box has a picture of 4 of those goldfish with the fat stomachs. From what I've read, none of the fish as pictured would be suitable for the tank. Is it any wonder that people haven't a clue if the advertising isn't realistic? There are many irritating people like the OP's friend who won't listen to good advice, but there are other people who would do the right thing if they weren't misled by information given with the products they buy. How hard would it be to put pictures of appropriate fish on the box?

#6 ·
I read this thread earlier today and then I went out. As I was going to my car, I happened to look at the box for my 35-litre aquarium (the box is sitting in the garage waiting to be put in the rubbish bin). One picture shows 3 angel fish 2 clown loaches and 2 other fish I don't recognize (they look like loaches to me), the other side of the box has a picture of 4 of those goldfish with the fat stomachs. From what I've read, none of the fish as pictured would be suitable for the tank. Is it any wonder that people haven't a clue if the advertising isn't realistic? There are many irritating people like the OP's friend who won't listen to good advice, but there are other people who would do the right thing if they weren't misled by information given with the products they buy. How hard would it be to put pictures of appropriate fish on the box?
It is indeed confusing when even popular magazines dedicated to the hobby, allow advertisement photos depicting gold fish in bowls, or advertising those cute little betta death traps.
Not to mention all of the snake oils,powders,and potions that often cause more problems and fish deaths than any benefits.

#9 ·
I'ma keep bugging him until he gets something bigger or takes them back.

I know comet goldfish get really big... but it takes time. I know the store he bought his fish at, and they keep very young maybe 1" sized comet's. That is the location I purchased my comet fish. I have 6 in a 10 gal. But they are only 2" long. I'm waiting on a new bigger pump to move them over to a bigger tank.

But as for this guy I swear something just isn't right with him. He talked to me one day about fish and aquariums... I just acted like 'oh thats interesting' ... but would always correct him.. felt bad had to correct a lot of what he said. Doubt it stuck. Oh he wanted me to put some kind of fish in my 100g tank because they look cool, regardless that it was completely incompatible with what I had.

Sigh....

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
i had a friend in college... who loved my tank so much she wanted her own... so i gave lectures and speeches on how to maintain and care for her new fish etc... i gave her a 10 gal (def wrong for a beginner, i would go larger) bc i had an extra sitting around, gave her the stand, lights, filter, substrate, test kit, etc... everything she would need. she assisted doing water changes on my tank for practice.... we filled her tank 50% with my water 50% new water so she didnt have to do a FULL cycle.... we buy fish. i believe it was 2-3 balloon mollies (she thought they were cute, blah)

i get a call a 2 weeks later.... they are all dead. i come to find out the glass was getting dirty so she decided to "CLEAN" it..... by draining all the water and using windex!!!!?????? if i spray you in the face with ammonia, how would you feel?!

some people just dont get it even when shown and explained....

#12 ·
Yeah, it's a bit far to go with the not enough room excuse to that extreme.

I went out, and bought 6 goldfish with a one gallon bowl, and after a few hours I had everything lined up to get a 10 gallon the next day. Unfortunately over the next week one fish killed two, and earned himself a rehoming back to the lfs, so the three remaining goldies are in the ten gallon only until I get something better.

now, I don't have room for the 400 gallons I should have for them, but they'll be getting at least a 55 gallon which seems like a happy medium, but to go with a 2.5 for lack of space is just a bit ignorant to me, might at well just keep them in a soda bottle if you're going to be that stubborn about space

>.<

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.