Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Weird Fish Behaviour (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/weird-fish-behaviour-40562/)

shootingstar26 04-06-2010 12:19 AM

Weird Fish Behaviour

Hey Forum

Sadly, one of my sterbai cory's died =[ I can't exactly say it was an unforseen event but...I wasn't exactly sure what was going on. I can't pin point the date, but it became...a little paler, but it was eating fine. Perhaps it was a little lethargic at the end, but that might be stretching it. Any ideas? My other sterbai is doing just fine.

On an unrelated note (hopefully) I have a sunburst platy that is also behaving strangely, it is one of three that I bought. It...I'm not sure how to explain it. It...only seems to recognize certain food, I guess is the best way to explain it. It's become rather thin because of this odd finicky behaviour.

I have a planted 18 gal Eclipse
pH 7.5
Last water change on Sunday (5 gal)

bettababy 04-07-2010 04:23 PM

Can you post water params for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? What is the water temp? How long has your tank been set up? How long have the fish been in there? What foods are you offering and which ones is the fish eating?
We'll need a lot more info in order to help you sort this out.

shootingstar26 04-08-2010 01:36 PM

Oooh. Okay.
I don't yet have a kit for testing Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate, but I can tell you that
water temp is ~77F
It has been setup for...5? years.
The sterbai cory that died had been in there for a long time; several months. The sun platies have been in there for maybe a little more than a month
I'm feeding it Tetra Min Tropical Crisps, some arbitrary food that came with my tank, and dried bloodworms.
-The sun platy ate anything in the beginning, only recently has it become picky.

Promelas 04-08-2010 02:48 PM

5 years and no test kits?! I could never go that long without testing my water!

t3l01v 04-08-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Promelas (Post 359481)
5 years and no test kits?! I could never go that long without testing my water!

You know, that's an attitude I'm seeing more and more on these forums.

About ten years ago, I would keep fish with my dad. We never had kits. We set a tank up, filled it with tap water, dropped in two mollies, and let it run for two weeks. Then we added a few new fish every weekend. No problems, ever.

No sick fish, nothing dying. Went that way for at least five years. The only time we had to replace fish was when they got too big for the tank and started picking on others, or we had to move, and took all our fish to the lps.

Maybe test kits are just cheaper these days.

shootingstar26 04-08-2010 10:17 PM

Until recently I didn't know I needed one. I was very naive when I first got the tank, and now I hope to learn as much as I can.
But back to the matter at hand, does my situation sound like anything out there?

shootingstar26 04-13-2010 10:50 PM

Disconcerting news. The sunburst platy that was behaving strangely died this afternoon. Its spine was bent, and it was looking pretty starved.

1077 04-14-2010 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t3l01v (Post 359714)
You know, that's an attitude I'm seeing more and more on these forums.

About ten years ago, I would keep fish with my dad. We never had kits. We set a tank up, filled it with tap water, dropped in two mollies, and let it run for two weeks. Then we added a few new fish every weekend. No problems, ever.

No sick fish, nothing dying. Went that way for at least five years. The only time we had to replace fish was when they got too big for the tank and started picking on others, or we had to move, and took all our fish to the lps.

Maybe test kits are just cheaper these days.

I seldom test my water but if a problem were to present itself, With my test kit I can Quickly identify whether it is a water quality problem or not. Those who have kept fish for any length of time can many times offer help to those who have problems by asking for test results. They (test results)can help identify or eliminate enviornmental issues that may be contributing to the fishes health.
Others prefer to begin dumping all manner of medications in the tank and hope somethin works.
I know people who have drove their cars until they quit ,never checked the oil.:roll:

shootingstar26 04-14-2010 01:50 PM

Pretend this specific message isn't here.

eileen 04-14-2010 02:27 PM

I posted a thread about QT fish. I tested my water and the Ammonia is at 1.0 today. I had fish dieing in that tank for a week. When I tested with my API test kit the water was fine. I guess I should have tested again once the fish were dieing as this set off the Ammonia spike. I'm doing a big water change now and the ammonia is down to 0 now. If I checked the other day my big Angelfish might have been alive. Water Quality is very important. I will be getting a new UV sterilizer/clarifyer today air mailed. I ordered a new one since it was cheaper then getting new parts and I will know that is is working ok. So it looked like my fish died of Ammonia poisoning from my un QT guppy that I added in a few weeks ago that died of I don't know what as it was a new fish. All my problems happened because I did not QT my new fish.:cry: