Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   Amazon riverscape 115g update (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/amazon-riverscape-115g-update-40518/)

Byron 04-05-2010 02:23 PM

Amazon riverscape 115g update

3 Attachment(s)
Added pics of the 90g yesterday, couldn't leave the 115g out. I have never seen so many flower spikes from one Echinodorus bleherae, there were three from that centre plant and they are double at that, and a fourth appeared last week. Also managed one pic of the Chilodus punctatus (spotted headstander) feeding from a shrimp pellet, and not too bad a pic of the Peru sp. of Rineloricaria.

aunt kymmie 04-05-2010 02:31 PM

Great pics! I can't decided which tank I like better, this or the 90. Beautiful tanks, Byron.
Great shot of the Chilodus punctatus. Before today I'd never seen one!

Byron 04-05-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 357495)
Great pics! I can't decided which tank I like better, this or the 90. Beautiful tanks, Byron.
Great shot of the Chilodus punctatus. Before today I'd never seen one!

Thanks Kym, much appreciated.

This is the third time in 20 years I've had Chilodus punctatus, and the only time was has lived past a few weeks. I bought three last May, and one died within a couple weeks. The second died last July. This one stuck around. The trick is feeding them. They only eat algae, so just like Farlowella and otos, at first there has to be natural algae. I was lucky this time that the third (survivor) also got acquainted with tablets early on. I have tried boiled spinach and stuff previously but no luck.

This one was pretty thin too, and I feared it might not make it, then suddenly it filled out and like the Corys and others it knows when tablets/pellets will be dropped in and readily feeds. It makes a clicking sound as it eats, only from prepared tablets, I never hear it eating algae. It spends all day browsing every surface in the tank, wood, plants, substrate. A neat fish, and about the only one of the Headstanders that is suitable for the average aquarium since the other species get quite large and are plant eaters.

karjean 04-07-2010 08:50 PM

Beautiful aquarium and an amazing picture. Thanks for educating us on the different fishes you have.

jhammons 04-07-2010 09:03 PM

I just love your tanks, and the pictures you take are just awesome! The "spotted headstander" just makes me smile...

I have to agree with Karjean, thank you for sharing the knowledge about these neat fish.

JohnnyD44 04-11-2010 04:22 PM

amazing B.!!!!!

you're swords are beautiful!!

sik80 04-13-2010 01:42 PM

brilliant stuff byron. your tanks are a real inspiration for my first tank that i'm setting up at the moment

beetlebz 04-13-2010 09:59 PM

byron, im speachless! just gorgeous.

konstargirl 04-14-2010 01:52 PM

I never heard of the fish before. Thanks for the education of that. Your tank does look like an amazon paradise..

willow 04-15-2010 04:53 PM

such a beautiful thing to look at. :-D