Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Pregnant Variatus? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/pregnant-variatus-40472/)

babydevilsangel 04-04-2010 04:46 PM

Pregnant Variatus?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello =)

I have a female variatus that I believe is pregnant. Someone else suggested that variatus fish can be quite plump looking naturally... Said she's just a fatty. =\

So... I'm wondering what you guys think?

She is black with a white underbelly, so a gravid spot can't be seen.

Here are 2 pics... One was her 10 days ago, and the 2nd one is today. I think she looks larger and more squared off than she did 10 days ago. Am I crazy, or is she huge preggo

Attachment 10638

Attachment 10639

babydevilsangel 04-04-2010 04:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are 2 more pics viewed from above. First one is 10 days ago, 2nd one is today. I think the 2nd one, she's looking more plump as well.

She has to be pregnant right?

Attachment 10640

Attachment 10641

britnyjackson 04-04-2010 05:42 PM

I'm no expert, but she looks pregnant to me!! Congrats! We need to get fryup or biokid in on this! They have a lot of experience with pregger fishies!!

fryup 04-07-2010 06:56 AM

she is with out a doubt pregnant....maybe 1-2 weeks left...the only thing is platy pregnancys can last up to 6 weeks :):):)

fryup 04-07-2010 10:41 AM

oh and dont keep her in a breeder box...this will only stress her and this could lead to a miss-carage or even the female dieing ....just wait till she has the babys then catch them and move to a breeder net/box or even a small tank ...good luck :):):)

babydevilsangel 04-07-2010 02:56 PM

Thank you for taking a look for me. =)

I THOUGHT she was too, but I'm new at this, so couldn't be for sure.

No worries, she's not in the breeder box... I only had her in there to get some good pics. I've actually got her in her own 5 gallon aquarium with plenty of hiding spots for the fry when she finally has them.

She looks so funny swimming around right now... she is just so big and awkward. I hope it'll be sooner than later!

And when she FINALLY has them, I'll update with how many she has... cause she is a GIANT right now! lol

Thanks again

fryup 04-07-2010 03:38 PM

a little tip to see if shes close to having them (it works for guppies i know that)....if you look by where she poops...if that area is slightly pointed out then it will be less than 4 days till she births! look between the back bottom fin and the one just infront if you understand me ?! :)...:):):)...

And yes a seperate tank is good ....when she has them and is finished birthing you can just move her back to the main tank :)

babydevilsangel 04-07-2010 05:01 PM

Ok! I'll watch for that area as well.

It seems right now (the last day) that she's just been pooping non-stop. I see the vent area that the babies are supposed to come out of, and it's open, but so far, it's always just some more poopies exiting. No babies yet. hahaha

That area right now does appear to be bulging... but not pointy.

babydevilsangel 04-08-2010 11:43 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This was her Yesterday...

Attachment 10805

Attachment 10806

Attachment 10807

babydevilsangel 04-08-2010 11:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This morning.... TA DAAAA!!!!

Attachment 10808

Attachment 10809

I saw she and the other female in the tank eat 2 of the babies each... so that's 4 gone. I have no idea how many others they ate, and I imagine that they did. But there are 39 fry! Alive and well!! Woohoooo!

And this is her now... Hopefully she's done!

Attachment 10810