Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   50 gallon tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/50-gallon-tank-40471/)

50 gallon 04-04-2010 05:29 PM

50 gallon tank

hi everyone iam setting up a 50 gallon tank what type of filter system should i use and do i need power heads? underground filter? all help is welcome thanks. i prefer hob but what else do i need if i use hob.

fish: 5 Africans.

d0r0g0 04-04-2010 08:46 PM

HOB's can stand alone. I wouldn't recommend a UGF (even though I currently use them - in conjunction with HOB). You may also want to look at canister filters depending on your initial budget.

What stock (plants/fish) are you planning on?

50 gallon 04-04-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d0r0g0 (Post 357139)
HOB's can stand alone. I wouldn't recommend a UGF (even though I currently use them - in conjunction with HOB). You may also want to look at canister filters depending on your initial budget.

What stock (plants/fish) are you planning on?

fake plants.
5 Africans fish atm. not sure i will add anymore fish. would i need a skimmer or a power head to help move the water? also whats the best lights to get for a nice blue color but not to dark.

Mikaila31 04-04-2010 10:28 PM

I lean strongly away from UGF, unless you do a reverse flow UGF. Just don't do the traditional way as muck builds up under the trays.

On a 55gal I would go with a canister, there is really nothing better. I have a rena xp3 on my 55gal and its worked great and is nice and quite like aquariums are suppose to be, this will allow for heavier stocking down the road too.

You don't need a skimmer, I would suggest a powerhead if you go with a HOB. A canister will make more than enough current on its own. As far as light, do you mean like actually blue light, like marine tanks use or just something that will bring out blue colors.....

1077 04-05-2010 02:26 AM

I would go with the Emperor 400 by Marineland if Hang on the back filter is your choice or perhaps Aquaclear 70.

karjean 04-05-2010 09:59 AM

Enjoy setting up your 50 gallons tank, as for the filter i do agree to stay away from the U/G.

iamntbatman 04-07-2010 04:01 AM

I think regular power filters are just fine on an unplanted tank. The ones 1077 mentioned are very good filters. Canisters are nice but are expensive and in my opinion are only needed in planted tanks or in tanks where too much flow can be problematic, which isn't the case with African cichlids.

If you're talking rift lake African cichlids, decor-wise I'd just stick with a sandy substrate and rocks and possibly some driftwood. Even plastic plants will get uprooted and moved around on a regular basis. I agree that blue-tinted lighting designed for marine tanks looks great for rift lake tanks.