Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   I Should Have Known Better (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/i-should-have-known-better-4046/)

herefishy 03-08-2007 08:42 PM

I Should Have Known Better

I think we have all done something questionable, or maybe even stupid, in our journey in the hobby. If you have done something that later you say to yourself, "I should have known better", list it here.
I've been in this hobby for over 40 years, and believe me I could write book on the subject. Like the time I put a wild male adult albino peacock cichlid in a tank with a small (at least I thought he was small enough) red tailed catfish. I paid $165 for that albino "feeder" cichlid. And, no, I no longer have the RTC.

fish_4_all 03-08-2007 09:14 PM

I haven't done anyhting like that yet becaus ei keep small nor predeatory fish but I have a friend that did.

He set up a tank, 125 gallons and raised a jack Dempsey, 2 Oscars and another meat eater from babies in the same tank. They lived together in peace and harmony for a long time. He thought that since they got along so well that he could do it with adult Oscars and Jack Dempseys. Needless to say he loast over $400 in fish because the Oscars ate the Dampseys and then turned on each other killing each other and this was a $275 gallon custom tank.

The worst I have done is to drop Copper safe in a tank I had Columbian Ramshorns in before I knew it would kill them. Lost all 14 of them and they were just about large enough to sell as well as the 3 adults that the babies came from.

Andyandsue 03-14-2007 11:21 AM

It looks as if everyone here is afraid to post their screw-ups! :wink:

A long while ago, I bought 2 very pretty .1o cent feeder goldfish from Petco (with quite a few dead ones in the overcrowded tank) and tried to keep them as pets in a 3 gallon. Poor things were full of disease from the get-go and didn't survive the cycling. Not to mention the cycling didn't survive the cycling!!

Thus began my hatred of Petco/PetSmart. Even the feeder goldfish at my LFS are kept in a huge, beautiful, healthy tank.

It was sad, but now I know better.

squiggles1 03-14-2007 01:17 PM

there is a rather shady pet store here but he always has different fish, just way high cost. Well we bought a mandarin dragonet from him but told him we knew it was starved and it wasnt eating the flake food he said it was. sadly it succumbed to death but we may have only encouraged him by buying it. :(

The Dude 03-14-2007 04:45 PM

Lets see. ive been in the hobby several months, but this is where most mistakes happen.

i wanted fish real bad the day after i set up my first ever tank... needless to say, none of them made it.

I tryed to raise brine shrimp the first time by addind some bakers yeast. the yeast got moldy within days and i had to dump the container i was raising them in as the mold smelled so bad i dry heaved. at least i was smart enough not to contaminate my tank!

I bought a fish knowing he would get too big for the tank but i love him! Within the next few years I either get a larger tank or put mr wiggles up for adoption.

Lupin 04-09-2007 03:14 AM

Now I regret it after calling my father to buy another electrical cord since he is always in the city. I had thought my powerhead was weakening simply because I thought my electrical devices are overloading one socket. Didn't realize my sponge was already muffled by the muck.:shock: Oh the shame of being a dum-dum.:frustrated:

And to top it, I wasted my time disassembling the powerhead trying to figure out why the outlet flow was weakening.:x Ah well...At least, I'm now aware of it. I never get to notice my sponge at all. I'm rather lazy.:lol:

Gump 04-09-2007 11:55 PM

Hummm put about 300 dollars worth of salt fish trying to get a combo to work with my tessalated moray.

Added a 100 dollar african tiger fish to my bichir tank and first night became ornate food.

Other than those two decent sized blunders most of the other ones were small.

Age of Aquariums 04-17-2007 02:26 AM

That had to suck losing all those fish.

Age of Aquariums 04-17-2007 02:28 AM

The whole thing about "Fish like filters, unless you forget to put the strainer on" is one of my mistakes...... poor baby clownfish. :(

Age of Aquariums 04-17-2007 02:29 AM

And I put a extra-large powerhead designed for a 125g in my 55g tank when it was freshwater. poor neon tetras...... again...... and guppies....... :(