Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Good or Bad? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/good-bad-4039/)

Puffy 03-08-2007 06:23 PM

Good or Bad?

Hello,

I would just like to know if my choices are "good" or "bad"?

First Tank
10 gallon
2 gold fish (both about 1.5 inches) (About 30 days in my tank)
Gold fish 1: Type: Oranda Red Cap, Name:Puffy
Gold fish 2: Type: Dont Know, Name: no name
1 Pleco (2 inches) (about 15 days in my tank)
Name: no name

Second Tank (simple)
2 Gallon
1 Betta fish (Blue) (about 30 days)
Name: Gill

Third Tank (simple)
Half a Gallon
1 Betta fish (Red) (about 15 days)

I dont like how the betta's are kept in such small cups at the pet store, I figured I could give it some more room (not much) without taking up to much room in my house.

I heard the amount of fish you can keep in your tank is 2 inches per gallon, so I figured that mine is doing fine. But then again dont gold fish get pretty big?

Brandon 03-08-2007 06:28 PM

Gold fish grow only as big as they can so in a pond i've seen HUGE ones.

Falina 03-08-2007 06:31 PM

goldfish can get pretty big, and are big waste producers so youll need a good filter when they get bigger. red cap orandas can grow up to a foot long (12"). its true thatyoure giving your bettas a better life than in the wee tubs in pet shops but 1/2 a gallon is still too tiny for any fish, (and imo so is 2g but others might differ on that one). it will survive in a tank that small, but wont be happy or able to swim anywhere

musho3210 03-08-2007 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon
Gold fish grow only as big as they can so in a pond i've seen HUGE ones.

thats actually wrong, they will keep growing until there is no space to grow, meaning if they can swim back and forth in the aquarium they will still grow

As for the bettas, there best tanks for them are 10 gallons each, they will show there best color and there swimming in bigger tanks but they can survive (although probably not thrive) in smaller tanks

Goldfish need 30 gallons for 2 goldfish and 10 gallons per fish above that, meaning 40 gallons 3 goldfish, 50 gallons 4 goldfish, 60 gallons 5 etc

Rue 03-08-2007 06:37 PM

Re: Good or Bad?

First Tank
10 gallon
2 gold fish (both about 1.5 inches) (About 30 days in my tank)
Gold fish 1: Type: Oranda Red Cap, Name:Puffy
Gold fish 2: Type: Dont Know, Name: no name
1 Pleco (2 inches) (about 15 days in my tank)

Fine for now...but goldfish grow BIG, even the fancies grow a good 6-8" and will need 10-20 gallons EACH...

The pleco is not a good choice for 2 reasons. The pleco needs warmer water than the goldfish and is also a HUGE fish...12" easily when mature.

Second Tank (simple)
2 Gallon
1 Betta fish (Blue) (about 30 days)
Name: Gill

That's fine...but a 5g planted tank would be MUCH better (or bigger!). Make sure you keep his water warm enough...contrary to popular belief...room temp. (71 F) is NOT warm enough...

Third Tank (simple)
Half a Gallon
1 Betta fish (Red) (about 15 days)

Not so good...see above...

I dont like how the betta's are kept in such small cups at the pet store, I figured I could give it some more room (not much) without taking up to much room in my house.

They're kept in the small cups in fish stores because it's convenient. That doesn't mean they should always be kept in small containers...all the fish in aquariums in petstores are kept overstocked...that doesn't mean that's how they should be kept...

Puffy 03-08-2007 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rue
They're kept in the small cups in fish stores because it's convenient. That doesn't mean they should always be kept in small containers...all the fish in aquariums in petstores are kept overstocked...that doesn't mean that's how they should be kept...

I know that they are kept over stocked, but its still good enough to put them in some thing a little bit bigger.

What i dont understand is why they sell 2 gallon tanks for bettas and half a gallon for bettas if it is not good for them?

As for the pleco, I am considering taking it back to the pet store during the next week or so.

Im guessing no one at the pet store was helpful because it seems there are problems.

oh, btw, I feed the fish twice a day, 8am and 8pm (12 hours in between) bettas get 2 pebles in 1 day, 1 per feeding. The gold fish get one little pinch of flake food.

Thank you for your help so far.

Rue 03-08-2007 08:04 PM

...I agree that they should have better housing...but what kind of housing can you have, for individual fish, when a stores sells 50+ fish a week?

I'd like to see special divided tanks...all nicely filtered and heated...but that's just me...

...pet stores are also businesses...so if the public demands small bowl for their 'pretty' fish the pet stores will supply them if they make money...

...sad but true...

To get over this 'abuse' of bettas, the public is going to have to stop demanding fish bowls and start demanding appropriate tanks...

musho3210 03-08-2007 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puffy
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rue

I know that they are kept over stocked, but its still good enough to put them in some thing a little bit bigger.

What i dont understand is why they sell 2 gallon tanks for bettas and half a gallon for bettas if it is not good for them?

As for the pleco, I am considering taking it back to the pet store during the next week or so.

Im guessing no one at the pet store was helpful because it seems there are problems.

oh, btw, I feed the fish twice a day, 8am and 8pm (12 hours in between) bettas get 2 pebles in 1 day, 1 per feeding. The gold fish get one little pinch of flake food.

Thank you for your help so far.

ive seen a lot worse than 1/2 gallons, ive seen little bowls that are half the volume of the betta containers at petsmart, its called the perfect little bowl for bettas, goldfish and guppies. Its the size of your palm and contains... 6 oz of water

herefishy 03-08-2007 08:12 PM

Goldfish .............? That's a pretty heavy bio-load.

GalaxyGirl 03-08-2007 09:53 PM

[quote="musho3210"][quote="Puffy"]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rue
ive seen a lot worse than 1/2 gallons, ive seen little bowls that are half the volume of the betta containers at petsmart, its called the perfect little bowl for bettas, goldfish and guppies. Its the size of your palm and contains... 6 oz of water

Yep, the lfs where I buy my fish has them, and a fake little plant, to go with it. I was in there looking at reptile stuff and a girl bought the betta, teeny 'bowl' and fake little plant looking thing. It is the ugliest thing I have ever seen btw. I cant even explain it. Anyways I feel bad for those fish =(