Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
- - Is this fatal??? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/fatal-40361/)
Is this fatal???
I just came home from work and i guess i haven't seen my angel's up close very well in the past couple days and a couple of them have almost like algae growing on their ventral fins....help!!!!!!!!!! Is this fatal? Should i start medicating the tank? Water changes? Put them in quarantine?
Could you be more descriptive, or perhaps include a picture?
Usually 'fuzz' of any sort indicates a bacterial infection and its imperative that it be treated promptly as a nasty enough bacteria can kill fish within a matter of days.
First, add 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt or kosher salt per 5 gallons of aquarium water.
Next, answer this consult form:
When we know this info we will be able to recommend the best medication and course of treatment.
OK weirdly enough I went to take a picture of the fish this morning and all the angels that had the stuff on their fins look fine...no junk on their ventral fins or anywhere else on them. how the hell!? Could it just have been that they were chilling at the bottom of the tank and got some junk hooked onto their fins?
I've learned not to use salt because I have some fish that are very sensitive to it including a royal farlowella, last time I added salt, it died.
My tank has been well established for about 6 months now, its a 75G that I do weekly 20 gallon water changes on religiously. I keep the water temp around 78-80, pH at 7, ammonia and nitrites are at 0, nitrates are at 20 but that's typical because today is the day I do my water change. Also, I think it should be noted that a couple of weeks ago I "cleaned" the sponge from my filter, and yes by cleaned I mean that I rinsed it in the water I took out of the tank during a water change, so I'm pretty sure the beneficial bacteria is a bit low in the filter right now.
Now I'm just confused because they look fine and I'm going to be doing my water change today as scheduled. Should I medicate with no signs or symptoms? I would think not...
I wouldn't medicate without symptoms... could easily have been a mild bacterial infection that their immune sysems handled without any human help. Do keep an eye on them of course.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.