Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Please Tell Me What Should I Start With As A Food For My Baby Black Lyre molly (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/please-tell-me-what-should-i-40314/)

sam9953 04-02-2010 06:01 AM

Please Tell Me What Should I Start With As A Food For My Baby Black Lyre molly

Yesterday my black lyre molly gave birth to a few (11) young black lyre fry and now i would like to know what should i start feeding them with. I am planning on giving them some good amount of brine shrimp each week and supplement them with blood worms, flakes and pellets so tell me what should i start with. i gave them crushed flakes but they are not eating it and are not interested in it. Please tell me how many times do you suggest me to do a water change for them?

Byron 04-02-2010 10:57 AM

I started my molly fry on green (algae/spirulina/veggie) flake food that I crushed with my fingers; they gobbled it up. I think shrimp and bloodworms would be too large at first. You could hatch shrimp eggs, but I would stick with the flakes. Assuming you have floating plants that they are hiding in, there will probably also be miniscule live food they will find; you might be amazed at what minute creatures live in your aquarium.

sam9953 04-02-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 355619)
I started my molly fry on green (algae/spirulina/veggie) flake food that I crushed with my fingers; they gobbled it up. I think shrimp and bloodworms would be too large at first. You could hatch shrimp eggs, but I would stick with the flakes. Assuming you have floating plants that they are hiding in, there will probably also be miniscule live food they will find; you might be amazed at what minute creatures live in your aquarium.

yes i have tried that crushed flakes but now i am going to feed them brine shrimp and please tell me how many times should i change the water?

Byron 04-02-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam9953 (Post 355673)
yes i have tried that crushed flakes but now i am going to feed them brine shrimp and please tell me how many times should i change the water?

That depends upon the size of aquarium and number of fish (total). The smaller the aquarium and the more fish in it (adults and fry), the more often water needs to be partially changed.

sam9953 04-02-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 355694)
That depends upon the size of aquarium and number of fish (total). The smaller the aquarium and the more fish in it (adults and fry), the more often water needs to be partially changed.

welli am planning on changing the water of my tank around 30% after every alternate da. it has only 11 fries of black lyre molly and it is around 7 gallon.

Byron 04-02-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam9953 (Post 355708)
welli am planning on changing the water of my tank around 30% after every alternate da. it has only 11 fries of black lyre molly and it is around 7 gallon.

That is a good schedule. As they grow it will be more important to do this, at the start less so, but good to get into the habit.

sam9953 04-03-2010 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 355721)
That is a good schedule. As they grow it will be more important to do this, at the start less so, but good to get into the habit.

and how many times should i feed them in a day?

iamntbatman 04-03-2010 06:12 AM

Some suggest up to five times daily, but I think three times daily should be okay for very young fry. You can cut back to two and eventually even just one feeding daily, once the fish are mature.

sam9953 04-03-2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamntbatman (Post 356063)
Some suggest up to five times daily, but I think three times daily should be okay for very young fry. You can cut back to two and eventually even just one feeding daily, once the fish are mature.

ok so i will try with 3 times and then if they eat well i will increase.