Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   plants for a 16 gallon community tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/plants-16-gallon-community-tank-40248/)

Baserunner 04-01-2010 02:20 AM

plants for a 16 gallon community tank

My 16 gallon tank is in need of a plant makeover. I currently have some red wendtii that has been growing well and has produced new plants over the past few months and I am looking to add taller plants to the back of the tank as well as some groundcover. The tank is more square and tall than rectangular and I am concerned that my fish will not take advantage of any new plants added. Should I even be concerned? I am looking for plants that require low light and no CO2. Thank you for any help on the subject!

Austin 04-01-2010 03:18 AM

sry

For some reason, I always click "add new post" instead of making a new topic. Either this site is glitched or I'm a serious idiot.

I'll answer your question anyways... my best.

"I am concerned that my fish will not take advantage of any new plants added." - I don't understand that part of your question.

But some plants I'd recommend are corkscrew valsneria for the back. I really think it's a beautiful plant. Not sure on the lighting requirements. Some of my crypts are pretty large and swords. You might want to try some stem plants though. I can't think of any, atm, maybe some water wisteria, pennywort, moneywort, that kinda stuff. :)

For foreground, you may want some dwarf saggitaria, or some type of aquatic grass or something.

Also, if you have rocks or driftwood, you could add some anubias. They like very low light and are nice plants.

Maybe you could do a small java moss wall on the back or something too. Just throwing out ideas.

Make sure you have a full spectrum light bulb though too. Since you only have a crypt atm (I believe wendtii is a type of crypt? I know I have one but lol idk which of my crypts it is. :p), it may be surviving even with the wrong kind of light since it requires low lighting in general. Just letting you know this, because idk this was the mistake I made a long time ago when I tried plants. Don't want others to make it.

Btw, all plants need CO2, im assuming you mean added CO2. your fish will produce sufficient CO2 probably.

Angel079 04-01-2010 08:02 AM

Being a 16g I'd go for plant that will give you the desired back cover without out-crowding your tank within the first few weeks. But really its a matter of what YOU like.....There could be Pennywort or normal (not dwarf!) Hairgrass, you could built a moss wall. For the front/ ground I'd get plants like dwarf baby tears or moss as well or small anubias would look nice too.

Maybe if you'd wanna look through my tanks here http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/p...hp?userid=1029 you could see what you LIKE for its looks?! All these tanks are run at very low light no ferts no add co2 others then fish; the roumors that planted tanks have to have add. co2 is really a myth! Or maybe also this link would help you find plants that you like www.sweetaquatics.com

Baserunner 04-01-2010 06:09 PM

Haha, sorry what I meant by the fish not taking advantage of the plants was that they would not hide in the cover they created. Stupid question...sorry! I meant added CO2 as well, sorry not to clarify! Thank you for the ideas and the information on the proper lighting. This will be my next investment. Thanks so much.

Austin 04-01-2010 07:16 PM

It depends what kind of fish. Most fish don't hide really. Mine come running to the front of the tank whenever I walk over.

Even if they don't hide in the plants, I think the OPTION to hide in them makes the fish feel more at ease.

Baserunner 04-02-2010 12:20 AM

Okay, thank you very much for the advice!