Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New 29g tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-29g-tank-40241/)

yohamnys 03-31-2010 11:03 PM

New 29g tank

Hey guys iam new to this site but not new to the aquarium hobby but i never used to check the water parameters and i just bought a 29g tank and the ammonia nitrite and nitrate levels are 0 but the pH is at 8.0 and i tried the pH down liquid and the proper pH 7.0 and it only fixes the pH for a wile and the next day its up to 8.0 again my tank only has a goldfish and 3 glo fish and i want to make it a community tank and i was told that my pH should be at 7.0 iam using regular tap water with added conditioner any ideas you guys could give me on lowering my pH or does really matter were the pH is as long as it doesn't change? thanks in advance

iamntbatman 04-01-2010 04:56 AM

Welcome to TFK!

You really don't need to mess with those chemicals. Goldfish (and zebra danios, which the GloFish are just a genetically modified variant of) will do just fine in water with a pH of 8.0. Using chemicals that alter pH, especially ones that lower it, can destroy your water's buffering capacity which can send your pH through the floor.

What kind of goldfish are these? If they're fancy goldfish you can expect them to grow to at least 8" in size as adults. Common goldfish and shubunkins will grow well over a foot. In either case, you'll need a larger tank to house them long-term.

karjean 04-01-2010 05:18 AM

I do agree with batman. As long as the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are zero, you should not play with the PH. It will put more stress on the fishes. Usually they will adjust to the aquarium. The only time i can see you have to have the right PH is you are planning to seriously breed them.

yohamnys 04-01-2010 03:47 PM

well i dont know what kind of goldfish it is because my mom got like 12 of them for me like six years ago and i think they were feeder goldfish but i only got 1 left which is like 7 inches long iam planing on having a community tank what kind of fish do you guys think would be good for my size tank and i would like some shrimp also for my tank i already got like 3 ghost shrimp what other kind would be nice. i want active fish so my tank wont be boring to look at .

iamntbatman 04-02-2010 01:27 AM

If it's a common goldfish, it will definitely outgrow the 29g or otherwise get stunted and face the resulting health problems.

Do you mean to upgrade to a larger tank and build a community that includes the goldfish, or are you talking about rehoming the goldfish and starting a tropical community tank in the 29g? It can be difficult to have a true "community" tank with goldfish as there aren't a lot of coldwater fish species available in the hobby other than goldfish and a few others.

yohamnys 04-02-2010 05:43 PM

I will be rehoming the goldfish to a pond that i have behind my house and the only fish that i wil be breeding are gupppies but that would be in a different tank i already got 3 black mollies and 3 dalmatian mollies added to the tank yesterday so what other type of fish do you guys recomend
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 04-02-2010 06:34 PM

As you have moderately hard to hard water, with a pH of 8, I would suggest livebearers since they all prefer such conditions. There are a few, very few, South American tetras that can handle this water, like Pristella Tetras, and some others I can't remember off the top of my ancient mind today. Perhaps you could have a read through the fish profiles section where the water parameters suited to the various fish are given. You'll probably get some ideas there, and there are photos of most of the species.

Byron.

yohamnys 04-02-2010 10:52 PM

how could i change the water hardness to be more soothing for other types of fish not just live bearers

iamntbatman 04-03-2010 04:07 AM

It's very difficult to lower your hardness levels without also sending your pH through the floor. The safest way to do it would be to get yourself and RO machine, but they can be expensive.

yohamnys 04-03-2010 09:04 PM

i have an RO machine in my garage collecting dust so i guess now is time to bring it back to life. after i filter the water with the RO machine i could put any type of fish in my tank as long as the temp. an pH are adequate for that particular specie of fish?