Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Fish store employees (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/fish-store-employees-40211/)

LisaC144 03-31-2010 12:28 PM

Fish store employees

On Saturday I went to one of my LFS to purchase a few Cardinal Tetras and a small Angelfish. This particular LFS has a staff that lacks any real knowledge for fish. However, their tanks are always clean and fish are healthy. I go in having done my research and knowing what I want. Therefore, their lack of knowledge doesn't bother me.

On Tuesday, I came home and one of the Cardinal Tetras had died. This has never happened at this LFS to I just chalked it up to a bad fish. I wasn't upset or anything. They have a 5 day guarantee on all fish, so I put the fish in a baggie, grabbed a water sample and went to the LFS. Most of the managers know me very well from being in there so often, but of course none were working on Tuesday. I told a young girl my problem and she called another young girl over to do a water test. She used the API Test Kit (the same one I use). She told me it would be about 10 minutes until all the tests were done (really?) so I took a stroll around to look at the fish. About 10 minutes later she says, "Miss, all your tests look good, but your pH is very high on the chart. It's at 7.0!!" Oh, fish store employees. Enough said. :frustrated:

BerkB33 03-31-2010 03:09 PM

Here's one that'll get everybody goin'. My LFS employee told me just a few days ago that they turn their betta stock over so quickly that they DON"T FEED THEIR IN STORE BETTAS.....EVER! There's probably between a hundred to seventy-five bettas on their shelves everytime I've visited the establishment. She told me it clouded the water too badly!!!!! WOW! :roll:

Oh, the bettas are in about a 1/2" of water, in a 4 oz. plastic cup. :cry: I'm starting to take a betta home with me as often as I can when I visit the store...just to save their lives...these owners shouldn't be allowed to be in business.

Romad 03-31-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BerkB33 (Post 354596)
Here's one that'll get everybody goin'. My LFS employee told me just a few days ago that they turn their betta stock over so quickly that they DON"T FEED THEIR IN STORE BETTAS.....EVER! There's probably between a hundred to seventy-five bettas on their shelves everytime I've visited the establishment. She told me it clouded the water too badly!!!!! WOW! :roll:

Oh, the bettas are in about a 1/2" of water, in a 4 oz. plastic cup. :cry: I'm starting to take a betta home with me as often as I can when I visit the store...just to save their lives...these owners shouldn't be allowed to be in business.

That's so sad. They have such a turnover because they're all starved to death. Grrrrrrr!!!

Mean Harri 03-31-2010 05:20 PM

When ya look around your world and see the stuff people do and the things they say and believe this doesn't surprise me. Having to deal with clueless, no common sense people when you yourself have sense is maddening. I too join you Lisa. :frustrated:

bloo97 03-31-2010 05:26 PM

Thats not right!! :frustrated:

Jupiter 03-31-2010 08:42 PM

I'm sorry, I chuckled...7.0 being high. :P

FishySuzy 03-31-2010 09:27 PM

That's cute. I'm trying to get a job at one of the ones here, but it's kinda difficult with all the drama...

FuulieQ 03-31-2010 10:23 PM

HA HA!! xD

This is why I go to Aquarium Adventures. They hire EXPERTs. Those people are like walking aquarium dictionaries.

ecoprincess 03-31-2010 10:28 PM

A few months ago when my betta was sick, i visited the local family owned pet store and described what i thought was swim bladder.....he toldme to just add more water conditioner to the tank cuz its full of electrolytes to help my betta get "better".

Fact or fiction? It sounded a bit sketchy so obviously i didnt do it.

FuulieQ 03-31-2010 10:50 PM

Yeaaaah. That sounds kinda.... unlikely to help. :/

Is your betta any better? :<