Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   what type of fish can i put in the tank with a baby oscar (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/what-type-fish-can-i-put-40141/)

bettalover2033 03-30-2010 12:19 PM

what type of fish can i put in the tank with a baby oscar

well today im going to be getting an oscar because well i just think they are beautiful pet fish. they grow twice thier size every month i know some what about them like the basics. dont put them in the tank with small fish or they will eat the fish. they can eat gold fish but preferably not ect.

so my main goal is to find a fish to put in with the baby oscar but as soon as he grows big enough i will seperate them.

can i have some suggestions or answeres.. he is a baby so it is okay for small fish right now? not as small as guppies though i know that:-D:-D

HELP please

kelly528 03-30-2010 05:02 PM

What size tank is he in right now? Adding too many fish may stunt his growth.

bettalover2033 03-30-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelly528 (Post 354003)
What size tank is he in right now? Adding too many fish may stunt his growth.

he is now in a 10 gallon he is very very small about the size of a goldfish but just a little bit bigger than one... what do you mean by stunt his growth?

molliefan09 03-30-2010 07:58 PM

even baby oscars can be quite aggressive. we have 4 (approx 3-4in) in our 160 gallon and they will attack the larger oscar who is about 9-10 inches. i personally wouldnt put even a baby oscar in a 10 gallon tank. they are messy fish and cause a quick rise in ammonia and nitrates. IMPO i wouldnt put more then 1 baby oscar in anything less then a 55, but again, thats just me. if you got a larger tank you could try him with a similar size jack dempsey

worsethanzombies 03-30-2010 08:03 PM

i had my oscar in a 35 custom.
he killed my jack dempsey. id say a pleco and thats it.
and get a bigger tank ASAP.
Posted via Mobile Device

molliefan09 03-30-2010 08:06 PM

i can not keep plecos with my oscars as they kill them all....the most recent was a 14 inch common pleco that they picked all the fins off of. BUT, with that being said...my oscars LOVED my JDs...each fish has their own personality so it is hard to say what you could put in there and have stay a live....i have also seen giant gouramis kept with oscars

bettalover2033 03-30-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by molliefan09 (Post 354191)
even baby oscars can be quite aggressive. we have 4 (approx 3-4in) in our 160 gallon and they will attack the larger oscar who is about 9-10 inches. i personally wouldnt put even a baby oscar in a 10 gallon tank. they are messy fish and cause a quick rise in ammonia and nitrates. IMPO i wouldnt put more then 1 baby oscar in anything less then a 55, but again, thats just me. if you got a larger tank you could try him with a similar size jack dempsey

is there a way that i can i lower the ammonia and nitrate levels??

would a 20 gallon work better than a ten???? because i only have enough money to buy him or her a 20 so far...:-D

bettalover2033 03-30-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worsethanzombies (Post 354194)
i had my oscar in a 35 custom.
he killed my jack dempsey. id say a pleco and thats it.
and get a bigger tank ASAP.
Posted via Mobile Device

wow Pecos are nice i think they look nice in the tanks mostly because they stick to the tank and help keep it a little clean...also i was watching YouTube and on there one of the Oscars had a pleco in its mouth. :-(:| it didnt look very nice ill tell you that much!!... okay so the bigger the tank the better?

iamntbatman 03-31-2010 03:08 AM

For a single oscar you're going to need at least a 75g tank. These fish grow incredibly fast so I would try to get the 75g as soon as you can. Check out craigslist for good deals on larger tanks. You can save a lot of money vs. buying a brand new tank that way. As for tankmates, plecos can work but not always (you'd need a bigger tank than a 75g for an oscar and a common pleco, though). I think other cichlids like Jack Dempseys, convicts, green terrors, etc. are probably your safest bet, although there are no guarantees when it comes to cichlid personalities.

kelly528 03-31-2010 11:06 AM

STUNTING...

Basically how stunting works is that the fish secretes a hormone that prevents skeletal growth. The more of this hormone (from itself or other fish) it senses in the water, the less it grows. Which is great in nature where in a crowded pond the very LAST thing you want is a huge, bulky body to feed when competition for food is already tight. But in aquaria where size of tank vs. size of fish is very dramatic stunting can get very severe.

Of course stunting can be prevented by doing frequent water changes to remove this stunting hormone from the water. But the more fish you have in an undersized tank the more hormone there will be floating about and therefore the more stunting will occur.