Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking fish after cycling (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-fish-after-cycling-40136/)

Cherokeewind 03-30-2010 09:51 AM

Stocking fish after cycling

My tank is fully cycled and now I am looking to start really stocking it. Right now I have 2 LF Zebra Danios, 3 Serpae Tetra, and 2 Blackskirt Hifin Tetra in there, which I used to cycle the tank. By the way, I have a 55 gallon tank. How many fish should I add today( I was thinking 3-4, but wasn't sure)? I don't want my tank to go through a mini-cycle, so would 3-4 fish be too many? Also, how often will I be able to add new fish to my aquarium?

molliefan09 03-30-2010 10:21 AM

all those fish are schooling fish and do best in groups of 5 or more so if it were my tank i would make each of those groups 5. what kind of substrate do you have ?? if it is a sandy bottom you could add some corydoras...they are shoaling fish and also do best in groups of 5 or more. 3-4 fish every week or 2 should be fine. again, if it were my tank i would prob make the danios group of 5, then the black skirts, then the serpe tetras, then if the subtrate is suitable the corys. if you wanted to add a pleco i would go with either the regular Bristle nose or the albino Bristle nose. BUT this is only if it were my tank....there is a good site someone on here built it is www.aqadvisor.com check it out and see what you can come up with. is your tank planted??

LisaC144 03-30-2010 11:21 AM

Agree. Increase those schools first. I love cories and I highly receommend a school of 8-10, but I wouldn't receommend them until your tank is established for another month or two. They are sensitive to ammonia, No2, No3 so you want to make sure your tank is well established first.

iamntbatman 03-31-2010 02:32 AM

I would increase the school size of the serpae tetras first because they have a reputation for being nippy. Having a larger school can prevent them from ganging up on one of their own and from extra-species nipping. I'd increase the school sizes for each of the species you have there to 6+. Do one species, wait two weeks then do the next. In a 55g you probably have room for 6 of each of those fish, a nice school of cories and maybe a couple other single fish like a bristlenose pleco and a dwarf cichlid of some kind.

Byron 03-31-2010 11:27 AM

Agree with previous advice, but a caution on the serpae tetras.

What other fish are you contemplating for this aquarium? Serpae tetras can be very nippy and aggressive, and any slow or sedate fish may quickly be harrassed to sickness and even death. Even the black skirts can be victims of serpae tetras. Large schools of 8+ may (I say may) relieve this, but not always. Serpae tetras can vary considerably from fish to fish; have a look at the information about this species in the fish profiles section to see why this is. And the faqct that no issues may be evident yet only means the fish are still adjusting to their new tank; once settled some fish can exhibit very different behaviours. Depending upon what you intend, removing the serpae may be advisable.

Cherokeewind 04-03-2010 10:56 AM

Thanks to everybody's input. I was already planning on increasing the size of the schools of fish I already have, I guess I should have put that in my post. lol As far as other fish species, I haven't completely decided what I'm going to put in my tank yet. I'm new at this and am trying to learn as much as I can before I add any other species.